ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Mixed experience in both Core Java/C++. Any worth ?

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

NitinS
Newly Registered

Mixed experience in both Core Java/C++. Any worth ?

Post by NitinS » Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:40 am

Dear all,

A question which is keeping me restless for quite some time is my movement to C++ four months back. I have been a Core Java developer for past 5 years but recently shifted to C++ due to a project change.

I am into Fixed income finance domain for last 2 years and can see a lot of jobs being posted on UK job sites requiring developers in this area.

Dilemma

I am confused -- should I spend time on C++ and take my C++ skills further while keeping my Java skills intact. Obviously this will require a lot of effort because I was already in a process to upgrade my Java skills to get prepared for a UK movement in near future. A shift to C++ has badly hampered my plans for Java and its quite difficult to keep working on C++ in office and go back to Java learning at home. At the same time I have targets to enhance my finance domain skills as well.

As I plan to apply for Tier 1 and subsequently move to UK, will the combined skills of Java and C++ in Fixed income finance be useful in my job search in the UK ? Should I stick to only Java or to only C++ ?

Although I understand a programming platform does not matter after 5 years (c++, java or others). It was painful to move to C++ from Java, I still find it hard to embrace C++ from heart. Please suggest me what to do ? Will it be useful to have a mixed programming experience in C++/Java in fixed income finance in the UK?

Thanks in advance for your kind replies.

mvent00
Diamond Member

Re: Mixed experience in both Core Java/C++. Any worth ?

Post by mvent00 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:46 am

NitinS wrote:Dear all,

A question which is keeping me restless for quite some time is my movement to C++ four months back. I have been a Core Java developer for past 5 years but recently shifted to C++ due to a project change.

I am into Fixed income finance domain for last 2 years and can see a lot of jobs being posted on UK job sites requiring developers in this area.

Dilemma

I am confused -- should I spend time on C++ and take my C++ skills further while keeping my Java skills intact. Obviously this will require a lot of effort because I was already in a process to upgrade my Java skills to get prepared for a UK movement in near future. A shift to C++ has badly hampered my plans for Java and its quite difficult to keep working on C++ in office and go back to Java learning at home. At the same time I have targets to enhance my finance domain skills as well.

As I plan to apply for Tier 1 and subsequently move to UK, will the combined skills of Java and C++ in Fixed income finance be useful in my job search in the UK ? Should I stick to only Java or to only C++ ?

Although I understand a programming platform does not matter after 5 years (c++, java or others). It was painful to move to C++ from Java, I still find it hard to embrace C++ from heart. Please suggest me what to do ? Will it be useful to have a mixed programming experience in C++/Java in fixed income finance in the UK?

Thanks in advance for your kind replies.

Wrong forum, you might seek advice on this forum.