ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

tier 4 student switching to tier 1 PSW

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

hypegal3

tier 4 student switching to tier 1 PSW

Post by hypegal3 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:18 pm

Hi

Has anyone switched from Tier 4 student to Tier 1 PSW?
How did you go about it?
Can you work full time while on PSW Visa?
Anymore advice is welcomed.

Thanks.
there 4 u

meats
BANNED

Re: tier 4 student switching to tier 1 PSW

Post by meats » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:19 pm

hypegal3 wrote:Hi

Has anyone switched from Tier 4 student to Tier 1 PSW?
How did you go about it?
Can you work full time while on PSW Visa?
Anymore advice is welcomed.

Thanks.
The answers to ALL of your questions are on the UKBA website, i suggest you look on there.

hypegal3

Post by hypegal3 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:22 pm

Thank you, I have done that but did not see anything about the working hours.
there 4 u

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:39 pm

hypegal3 wrote:Thank you, I have done that but did not see anything about the working hours.
Because there are no restrictions on working hours.

hypegal3

Post by hypegal3 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:46 pm

So how does it work? Do you apply and wait for the visa to be granted and then work, or can I work while waiting for the visa, hope this makes sense.
there 4 u

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:48 pm

hypegal3 wrote:So how does it work? Do you apply and wait for the visa to be granted and then work, or can I work while waiting for the visa, hope this makes sense.
I think you can work whilst waiting for the visa however i'm not 100% certain on that. This is provided that you apply for the visa BEFORE your tier 4 runs out and i think that you're already working.

hypegal3

Post by hypegal3 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:52 pm

Ok so what you are saying is I can go over the 20hrs limit for a student, to maybe 30hrs.

I have read that after the 2yrs PSW visa, you cannot extend it again, so what I want to know is if there is another visa I could switch to, as I would love to continue living here?
there 4 u

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:02 pm

hypegal3 wrote:Ok so what you are saying is I can go over the 20hrs limit for a student, to maybe 30hrs.

I have read that after the 2yrs PSW visa, you cannot extend it again, so what I want to know is if there is another visa I could switch to, as I would love to continue living here?
Read the UKBA website.

hypegal3

Post by hypegal3 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:42 pm

Does it(PSW) only qualify if studying a degree? Or can it be any qualifications.
there 4 u

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:26 am

hypegal3 wrote:So how does it work? Do you apply and wait for the visa to be granted and then work, or can I work while waiting for the visa, hope this makes sense.
You're still subject to the same conditions relating to your current leave until your new leave is granted.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

hypegal3

Post by hypegal3 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:36 pm

At the moment Im studying NVQ L3, and would like to work after this, so what you are saying is I can apply for the PSW with this qualification?
there 4 u

joh118

Post by joh118 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:44 pm

hypegal3 wrote:At the moment Im studying NVQ L3, and would like to work after this, so what you are saying is I can apply for the PSW with this qualification?
no no no! PSW is only for degree graduates!

If you want to stay here and work, then you can continue as a student OR get a tier 2 visa.

Getting a tier 2 visa is quite difficult now. You need a certificate of sponsorship from your potential employer. To get this, unless the job is on the shortage list (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... onlist.pdf), the employer must advertise the job for 4 weeks on jobcentreplus and on one other suitable site. The actual job must be above NVQ level 3.

You need to prove your english ability, your NVQ level 3 is not enough to prove this so you will need to do english tests.

If you have NVQ level 3, you will need a job that is paying above 22000.

Your employer must be registed on the "Register of Sponsors" (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... ofsponsors)

Again, if your job is on the shortage list, things are very easy. There are no requirements of salary or qualification.