ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Studying on Residence permit/Residence Card

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kadsac

Studying on Residence permit/Residence Card

Post by kadsac » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:44 am

Hi I was thinking if anyone know anything about this.
What are the rules on studying in the UK with a residence card/permit? Do I have to pay fees as an overseas student or will i be considered as a home student for tuition fee purposes?
My wife (British National) and I (Non-EEA national ) will be moving to the UK using the surinder singh ruling from sweden. I want to further study for a masters and then go into employment but I won't be able to afford to pay what they charge overseas students.

Rozen
Diamond Member

Re: Studying on Residence permit/Residence Card

Post by Rozen » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:48 am

kadsac wrote:Hi I was thinking if anyone know anything about this.
What are the rules on studying in the UK with a residence card/permit? Do I have to pay fees as an overseas student or will i be considered as a home student for tuition fee purposes?
My wife (British National) and I (Non-EEA national ) will be moving to the UK using the surinder singh ruling from sweden. I want to further study for a masters and then go into employment but I won't be able to afford to pay what they charge overseas students.
Three years residency in the UK is one of the conditions for paying 'home fees'. So despite you being a family member of an EEA national, you still won't qualify as soon as you arive in UK.

datuchi
BANNED

Re: Studying on Residence permit/Residence Card

Post by datuchi » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:13 pm

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/AdvancedSea ... =eea+study

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAn ... /DG_070143

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAn ... /DG_065322

all the info there. One thing you may be able to get is, if your wife starts to work again in the UK, as the family member of such a "converted EEA" national, you are eligible for EXACTLY THE SAME support as the locals.
There has been a case, where it was suggested that, to prevent a family member of a WORKER from obtaining the same benefits would hinder the FREE MOVEMENT of WORKERS, by putting off those workers from going to another Member State! The Free Movement of Workers is one of the PILLARS of the TREATY of ROME, the founding Treaty etc. etc.

So, you may qualify immediately for financial support mate, if your wife starts to work upon return. The 3 year requirement would only apply if you were an EEA national who came to the UK for the whole purpose of studying.

Have a read through the above links, should be clearer!
Good Luck

kadsac wrote:Hi I was thinking if anyone know anything about this.