ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Maintenance sufficient or not?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

immihelp
Newly Registered

Maintenance sufficient or not?

Post by immihelp » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:28 pm

My partner and I are getting married and I am wondering about the maintenance requirement. My girlfriend is on a student visa and is working 20 hours a week so is contributing to all the bills. After we are married and we apply for the spouse visa will they take into account her contribution or will I need to demonstrate that I alone can support us both?

Also, I receive some support from my parents and am working part time. They have been supporting me indefinitely as I am working on some things outside of my job. Will they discount my parents' support in deciding if we have adequate funds?

If they will only take my earnings into account, how much would I need to demonstrate each month past our rent... is it £100 or thereabouts?

Thanks!

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:39 pm

It's about £105 per week after all standing bills, ie rent, Council tax, utilties, ie all the essentials.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

immihelp
Newly Registered

Post by immihelp » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:27 pm

Thanks for confirming the amount.

datuchi
BANNED

Post by datuchi » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:15 am

Sorry to sabotage someone else's thread, but, it's kind of on the subject.

Wanderer,

1) where did you get this amount pls? Is it the same requirement for those applying for ILR?

When my sister applied for her FLR(M), she didn't really work per se, only part-time. And her husband also part-time. They had some savings though, I presume that was what they took into account?

2) They live in an accommodation provided by me, free of charge and they weren't even asked to provide a letter from anyone to prove this, they simply ticked the box saying: "accom. provided by a friend or relative".

Will this be the same when applying for ILR? I am renting that accommodation myself from a landlord with whom it's more or less a friendly relationship, and we never had a tenancy agreement. Only monthly payments leaving my account. If they did ask for proof, shall I just write a confirmation letter showing money transfers? The landlord is paying bills, council tax etc. himself. Or both the landlord's letter and my letter?

My wife's husband is paying off a brand spanking new motorbike purchased on my credit card (low interest) each month by transferring money into my account and I then pay off the monthly payments.
Should they simply use that as proof of "fluctuating rent"? Although in the last couple of months I told him to pay the exact same amount each month, and I pay him the difference in cash, just to make it look he's paying that "peppercorn" rent. 180-200 quid per MONTH.

Ta

Wanderer wrote:It's about £105 per week after all standing bills, ie rent, Council tax, utilties, ie all the essentials.
None of the advice/opinion is expressed with the view of assuming responsibility as to its accuracy. Anyone intending to rely on any advice/opinion should seek independent legal advice before acting upon it.

Danbrix

Post by Danbrix » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:09 am

Wanderer wrote:It's about £105 per week after all standing bills, ie rent, Council tax, utilties, ie all the essentials.
Are you sure it includes other bills apart from rent and council tax?

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:26 am

I was told it's £100.95 after rent, council tax, and debt repayments.
I tell it like it is.

immihelp
Newly Registered

Post by immihelp » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:12 pm

Please could someone help us with a question. My fiancee is in the UK - when we apply for the spouse visa will they take her income into account as well as mine (the sponsor) in determining the maintenance amount?

Also... part of my income comes from my parents. They have been contributing to my income indefinitely and will continue to do so. Will ukba completely discount this and only take account of my salary from my job when calculating the maintenance amount?

Thanks so much, we're extremely grateful.

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:20 pm

immihelp wrote:Please could someone help us with a question. My fiancee is in the UK - when we apply for the spouse visa will they take her income into account as well as mine (the sponsor) in determining the maintenance amount?

Also... part of my income comes from my parents. They have been contributing to my income indefinitely and will continue to do so. Will ukba completely discount this and only take account of my salary from my job when calculating the maintenance amount?

Thanks so much, we're extremely grateful.
Yes your fiancee's income will be taken into account as well as yours (as long as she's working legally and not going over her allotted hours if she's on tier 4). What visa does she hold?

Third party support is not allowed (ie from your parents).
I tell it like it is.

immihelp
Newly Registered

Post by immihelp » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:43 pm

Hi, thanks for the information. She's on a student visa and is working 20 hours a week. Once she transfers she'll look for a full time job. Will they take into account here current 20 hour job, or will they look at her prospects for earning a full time wage?

As regards to teh maintenance amount, is it £105/week extra after rent? Should we pay food, bills etc from that £105, or should it be free and clear after all living costs... i.e. for savings?

We're intending to draw up a budget for the application. This will show that we clearly save money each month. How much should we be earning and saving to satisfy the maintenance requirement? Or is it simply about making £105 over the rent?

Thanks, we're really grateful!

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:46 pm

It's after rent and council tax.

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:20 pm

immihelp wrote:Hi, thanks for the information. She's on a student visa and is working 20 hours a week. Once she transfers she'll look for a full time job. Will they take into account here current 20 hour job, or will they look at her prospects for earning a full time wage?

As regards to teh maintenance amount, is it £105/week extra after rent? Should we pay food, bills etc from that £105, or should it be free and clear after all living costs... i.e. for savings?

We're intending to draw up a budget for the application. This will show that we clearly save money each month. How much should we be earning and saving to satisfy the maintenance requirement? Or is it simply about making £105 over the rent?

Thanks, we're really grateful!
Mostly they look at her current job but they do consider job prospects (but job prospects are the weakest form of financial evidence).
I tell it like it is.