ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Working Holiday Maker vs HSMP

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

apply4hsmp

Working Holiday Maker vs HSMP

Post by apply4hsmp » Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:08 am

Any idea which one is good if you are eligible for both
Working Holiday Maker vs HSMP ?

MWazir
Diamond Member

Post by MWazir » Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:35 pm

They are totally different categories

With HSMP, you stay in the country upto 4 years, work for any employer without any restrictions. At the end of 4 years it leads to settlement and naturlisation a year later.

The working holiday-maker scheme is an arrangement where a person aged between 17 and 30 can come to the United Kingdom (UK) for an extended holiday for up to two years and may do part-time or casual work. Work must not be the main reason for your visit and is incidental to your holiday and the visa is limited to 2 years and does not lead to settlement.

paulus_1975
Newly Registered

Go straight for HSMP

Post by paulus_1975 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:58 pm

As someone who has been on both, go straight for the HSMP. This is from my personal experience.

As it stands at the moment, unless you obtained WHM before Feb 05 (correct me if I am wrong about the date), you can only work for one year. Even with the old, work for a full two years with the intention of taking a holiday, some employers and recruiters will not consider you for the role, even if you meet all the other requirements. The reason is that they see WMH as being unstable and therefore a flight risk. The other perception is that you would look for sponsorship. This is exactly what happened to me. I had to give working in the sector that I liked because the City companies perceived that I was a flight risk. Having said that, you can always contract.

With HSMP, it signals to the recruiter, that you don't need sponsorship, that you are making a commitment to both the UK and to the employer, and definately want to be here.

Hope that helps.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:46 pm

Time on HSMP does count towards ILR in 4 year employment categories vs Time on WHV does not count towards ILR (other than on 10 yr long residence grounds)....elementary my dear watson.