ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Bringing Spouse to UK

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

bouncingboy
Newly Registered

Bringing Spouse to UK

Post by bouncingboy » Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:56 pm

Hi All
I am going to get married and i am currently employed (Permananet Job) with HSMP Visa
I would like to bring my wife to UK after marriage.
1 Can anyone please share their recent experience in Chennai (India) British Consulate.
2 What are the documents needed for getting a visa for my spouse
3 I will be having 5 Months of HSMP visa after marriage . Will it be a problem in processing my spouse visa
4 How long will it take for getting my spouse visa
5 Will my spouse have to go for a medical test

Thanks

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:28 pm

Bouncing boy,

Good to hear that you are bouncing all the way down the aisles!!!

below are my suggestions

1). Wait for other forum memmbers - cant help on this one

2). Proof that you have been married (and that it was not a marriage of convinience). Obviously it would help to have sufficient evidence that you 'never' met your wife a 'week ago'. Clearly it would be helpful if you had documentary evidence spanning a period of 2 years.

3) It should not be a problem so long as you have sufficient funds/job and accomodation

4). Dont Know

5). No medicals required, but there may be a 'health' check at port of entry. Advise your wife to also come with a photocopy of your passport and HSMP visa when coming to PoE, assuming EC is granted.

Good Luck
Where there is a will there is a way.

Dip

Post by Dip » Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:41 pm

Chess wrote: 2). Proof that you have been married (and that it was not a marriage of convinience). Obviously it would help to have sufficient evidence that you 'never' met your wife a 'week ago'. Clearly it would be helpful if you had documentary evidence spanning a period of 2 years.

5). No medicals required, but there may be a 'health' check at port of entry. Advise your wife to also come with a photocopy of your passport and HSMP visa when coming to PoE, assuming EC is granted.
Good Luck
2 years is too much for some, especially in India, where many marriages are arranged marriages (wont discuss details on this). The EC officer in Chennai would accept if you can show the marriage certificate, invitation card and also a photo album of the ceremony.

Medicals are required for any visa over 6 months/settlement purposes.
bouncingboy wrote:Hi All
4 How long will it take for getting my spouse visa
Thanks
Should be 6-8 weeks, of which the medicals take around 5 weeks.

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:05 pm

Dip,

Yep, I gat your point regarding marriages - just one more clarification...are Health checks carried out for India only???

What on earth do they look for :roll:

Ajayxyz got his/her HSMP EC, and I dont remember him/her talking about undertaking medicals!.

Can anyone on the ground tell us whats going on???
Where there is a will there is a way.

bouncingboy
Newly Registered

Post by bouncingboy » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:47 pm

Thanks Chess/Dip
6-8 weeks it too long !!! Is there any member on this board who has recent experience on this ?

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:18 pm

bouncingboy,
Proof that you have been married (and that it was not a marriage of convinience). Obviously it would help to have sufficient evidence that you 'never' met your wife a 'week ago'. Clearly it would be helpful if you had documentary evidence spanning a period of 2 years.
The presentation of a certificate/licence issued in respect of a marriage that is valid and in accordance with the laws of the country in which it was conducted is enough to proove the relationship. The two year period refers to those applying to join their sponsor in the UK as an unmarried partner.

You will also have to submit evidence of your ability to maintain and accomodate yourself and your wife + any kids without recourse to public funds. Proof of funds requires 6 months of payslips and bank statements, letter from employer. Proof of accomodation is a mortgage deed or tenancy agreement. Where you are being accomodated by a friend then you need to get them to write a letter confirming such support. They must also submit a formal document as proof of their tenancy/ownership e.g. a council tax bill. Of course copy of your HSMP visa and bio-data page on ppt is required.
I will be having 5 Months of HSMP visa after marriage . Will it be a problem in processing my spouse visa
Shouldn't be if all relevant documents are submitted.
How long will it take for getting my spouse visa
Depends on whether medical tests and/or an interview are required. Interviews would typically be waived for spouses/ dependents of people in the UK on a long term category (apart from settlement applications).
Will my spouse have to go for a medical test
Entry Clearance Officers have the power to refer any visa applicant for a medical examination prior to issuing Entry Clearance (visa) or even to require you to present yourself to the Medical Officer at the UK Port of Entry. Medical tests would typically be for those coming to the UK for longer than 6 months. Various posts implement this policy on a local practice level but it is most common at subcontinent posts (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka). Needless to say visa issuance in such cases depends on the speed at which the applicant gets to see the medical officer they are referred to and how long it takes for the medical exam report to get back to the ECO with recommendations. The 6-8 week period quoted by Dip is not unusual. Where no medical is required EC may be granted on the day of application and certainly within 48 hours. If your spouse does not get a medical in India then do advice her to carry a chest x-ray to avoid delays at the UK POE.

Chess,
just one more clarification...are Health checks carried out for India only??? What on earth do they look for
No. Any person can be directed to undergo a medical. Nationals of countries where the health care system is not to the same standard as that of the UK are more likely to be referred for medicals(it also stops you being a burden to the NHS when you get here). TB, Pulmonary disease, trachoma, mental disorders, sexually transmitted diseases and the list goes on.

bouncingboy
Newly Registered

Thanks

Post by bouncingboy » Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:56 am

Thanks Kayalami, You are genius