ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Ceremony

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

basis

Post by basis » Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:04 pm

Agree Paul.

basis

Post by basis » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:03 pm

My passport would be received tomorrow. Actually today but I am redirecting it for tomorrow to receive at work place. So it took 4 days due to weekend.

basis

Post by basis » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:39 pm

Received the passport and supportings together today. Tomorrow I should go for PIO application. Will keep you posted on that.

basis

Post by basis » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:37 pm

Applied for PIO today. If anyone is planning to go to India House in next few days then remember there photocopying machine is under repair. So take the necessary photocopies yourself. If you were the Indian passport holder yourself then photocoipies of the first, last and ILR page of Indian passport and the page with photo from UK passport is enough. Nearest tube station is Holborne (5 minutes walk) on the central line. From Paddington it takes 15 minutes to reach the India house. standard time taken is 3 weeks (21 calendar days) but in case of urgencies it can be brought down to 10 calendar days.

basis

Post by basis » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:58 pm

Just an update and perhaps closure of this thread - I collected the PIO card today at London. I had applied on 17th Nov so it was pretty quick.

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:00 pm

a person i know was asking if it is possible to skip the citizenship ceremony if one applied through a lawyer?

why does the post office require your last passport(even if it belongs to another country). if my indian passport expires when i am eligible to apply for a british passport, can i hand in my indian passport.

actually i will be appling for an indian passport, and the high commission might take its sweet time once again. hence say i am eligible to apply for british passport in january, can i hand in my old indian passport, the one before the current one(which is a one year validity passport), the last one does contain an indefinite leave to remain stamp.

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:16 pm

rogerroger wrote:a person i know was asking if it is possible to skip the citizenship ceremony if one applied through a lawyer?
AIUI the Home Office take an extremely firm line on disapplying the ceremony requirement. In the UK, where few people are out of reach of a ceremony location, they will generally only disapply the requirement in cases of serious illness or infirmity.
rogerroger wrote:why does the post office require your last passport(even if it belongs to another country). if my indian passport expires when i am eligible to apply for a british passport, can i hand in my indian passport.
actually i will be appling for an indian passport, and the high commission might take its sweet time once again. hence say i am eligible to apply for british passport in january, can i hand in my old indian passport, the one before the current one(which is a one year validity passport), the last one does contain an indefinite leave to remain stamp.
The question is not 100% clear, but if you are talking about applying through the Post Office for a British passport, the Post Office doesn't require anything. The requirements are imposed by the UKPS, and I would have thought that it would be reasonably clear that they are looking for evidence of the applicant's identity. It would be safest to submit your most recent passport, to save arguments. It should be returned quite quickly.
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:10 pm

thanks for the replies

makes sense now, i thought in lieu of a passport a UK driving licese woudl identify me as well and in conjunction with a citizenship certificate that should suffice