ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How student status effects my application?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

nonie
Newly Registered

How student status effects my application?

Post by nonie » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:07 pm

Hi...

I am planning to apply for Tier 1 visa and am currently a Ph.D. student in the US. I am really scared that my current student status might impact my ability to obtain the visa as my official degree date is in 2013. However, I do have the required points (from earnings and previous MBA) which qualify me.

I have 2 options here:

1) I can show myself as a current student and show earnings from Aug'08 to July'09 (as I started my degree in Aug'09)

2) I can show that I am currently working as a Teaching Assistant and show my earnings from Jan'09 to Dec'09 (which are comparatively less as my earnings as TA are very low). In any case, I do end up with sufficient points to qualify for the visa.

Can anyone please shed some light on whether being a current student can be detrimental for my application?

Also, in case the application is not approved, is the fee refunded?

Many thanks...
Nonie.

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Re: How student status effects my application?

Post by ChetanOjha » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:11 pm

Your status will not be affected if you are a student. your Phd degree will not be considered for visa purpose. You can use MBA for your visa application.

I would advice you for Option 2 below.

Fees are not refunded if your application is turned down. HO is charging fee to "consider" your application and not to approve your application.
nonie wrote:Hi...

I am planning to apply for Tier 1 visa and am currently a Ph.D. student in the US. I am really scared that my current student status might impact my ability to obtain the visa as my official degree date is in 2013. However, I do have the required points (from earnings and previous MBA) which qualify me.

I have 2 options here:

1) I can show myself as a current student and show earnings from Aug'08 to July'09 (as I started my degree in Aug'09)

2) I can show that I am currently working as a Teaching Assistant and show my earnings from Jan'09 to Dec'09 (which are comparatively less as my earnings as TA are very low). In any case, I do end up with sufficient points to qualify for the visa.

Can anyone please shed some light on whether being a current student can be detrimental for my application?

Many thanks...
Nonie.

nonie
Newly Registered

Post by nonie » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:42 pm

Hi Guru,

Thanks for your response. I understand that I will use my MBA for visa application. However, do you think that I would need to explain in my cover letter that why I am applying for Tier 1 visa when my degree date is still 4 years away. Can it bear a wrong impression on my application that I am applying in between my education (they will come to know as the student visa is stamped in my passport).

Kind Regards,
Nonie.
chetanojha wrote:Your status will not be affected if you are a student. your Phd degree will not be considered for visa purpose. You can use MBA for your visa application.

I would advice you for Option 2 below.

Fees are not refunded if your application is turned down. HO is charging fee to "consider" your application and not to approve your application.
nonie wrote:Hi...

I have 2 options here:

Many thanks...
Nonie.

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Post by ChetanOjha » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:57 pm

nonie wrote:Hi Guru,

Thanks for your response. I understand that I will use my MBA for visa application. However, do you think that I would need to explain in my cover letter that why I am applying for Tier 1 visa when my degree date is still 4 years away. Can it bear a wrong impression on my application that I am applying in between my education (they will come to know as the student visa is stamped in my passport).

Kind Regards,
Nonie.
"Degree is 4 years away"...are you referring to Phd? If yes, than you don't have to explain anything about it. You are applying based on your MBA and previos earnings. Your student visa will not affect your chances of getting Tier-1. Obviously everybody apply for Tier-1 to work and settle(if possible) in UK.

high_aimer

Post by high_aimer » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:37 pm

I'd have gone with the option 1 as it will make your case simple.

But I think you'll get Tier1 in either option as long as you've got the required points. Your student status will not impact your application in any way.