ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switching from Work Permit to Tier 2 - how much time?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

voguette
Newly Registered

Switching from Work Permit to Tier 2 - how much time?

Post by voguette » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:19 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping you might be able to help me. I resigned from my job on December 10th with one month's notice without another job to go to (rather dramatically...30 years of age and I still haven't learnt to swallow my principles). I have been on a Work Permit with this company for 3 years, and my employment will now officially end on January 10th. I have been frantically applying for jobs, and I've been interviewing with a company that appear to be interested in sponsoring me via the Tier 2 system, however I still have another round of interviews to go that can't take place until January 17th, and then I have to undertake a psych test which will happen sometime thereafter. I believe I have 28 days from the end date of my old job to leave the country, and I'm just wondering if this is also the deadline to have the Tier 2 application submitted or is the 28 day rule based on having a new, approved visa in your hands...in which case, I need to be saying goodbye to London now! Gutted :(

One other question if I may also please? I have read about having to prove you have maintenance funds for Tier 2, and have also read if you had to show this for your first application when you switch permits, you don't have to do it again. Thinking back, I don't think I ever had to show bank statements when I went through the Work Permit process. Does this mean I need to have a lump of cash sitting somewhere? Because that might be a problem given I've just paid off all my credit cards with my savings as I thought I may have to leave the country in several weeks!!!

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate any advice...