ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish passport for South African husband

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sairishlass
Newly Registered

Irish passport for South African husband

Post by sairishlass » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:13 pm

My OH's 2 year settlement visa expires beginning of April and I've put the wheels in motion by ordering the Life in the UK books and was planning on making an appointment within a couple of weeks as well as getting all the documentation together for the Indefinite Leave to Remain application form. Someone at work has now told him that instead of laying out all that expensive he could just apply for an Irish Passport (we live in Northern Ireland). Obviously I'd have to apply for one first (or supply a full birth certificate with parents details) and then through that he apparently can get a Irish passport? Very confused and surely it couldn't be THAT easy?
D :shock:

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:03 am

Not really, he needs 3 years legal residence in NI to apply for Irish citizenship (and only then, if you are an Irish citizen - are you?). And the Irish will probably take 2 years to process the application.

So he needs to keep on current track to get ILR and British citizenship as soon as possible, if he can get Irish citizenship in due course it's a bonus.