ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Divorce papers to be included in Tier 1 application

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

london_prem

Divorce papers to be included in Tier 1 application

Post by london_prem » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:57 pm

I am applying for Tier 1 General from Delhi, India. My passport shows my spouse name, but I am in the process of divorce. I will get divorce order from court in one month.

1) In form VAF 9 guidelines, it says that if you are not single, provide evidence of your marital status. Should I include divorce papers alongwith application? Any other document for divorce?

Thanks,

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Re: Divorce papers to be included in Tier 1 application

Post by ChetanOjha » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:13 pm

london_prem wrote:I am applying for Tier 1 General from Delhi, India. My passport shows my spouse name, but I am in the process of divorce. I will get divorce order from court in one month.

1) In form VAF 9 guidelines, it says that if you are not single, provide evidence of your marital status. Should I include divorce papers alongwith application? Any other document for divorce?

Thanks,
You should provide evidences which are correct/valid at the time of your visa application. You are in process of divorce but not yet divorced. In that case you should provide your marriage certificate.

But why VAF form asks for spouse details as you are not applying for her with your application?

london_prem

Post by london_prem » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:19 pm

Hi, Thanks for reply.

VFS is asking about my marital status: Single, Married, Divorced etc in Part 2. If I apply after getting divorce orders, do I need to send divorce papers along with my application?

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Post by ChetanOjha » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:21 pm

london_prem wrote:Hi, Thanks for reply.

VFS is asking about my marital status: Single, Married, Divorced etc in Part 2. If I apply after getting divorce orders, do I need to send divorce papers along with my application?
If you are ticking "divorced" status than I think you should be able to support that claim. I that case you have to provide relevant evidences.But I have not come across any such case so wait for other guys to reply.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:39 pm

You are currently married (no divorce decree). Use your "current" status as on the day you post your application.

If there is place in the form for "additional information" then specify that you are living separately from your partner / divorce proceedings are going on and include the relevant paper work to support the claim(e.g. - divorce petition). If the form does not have place to include "additional information" then draft a cover letter to include this information.

regards

london_prem

Post by london_prem » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:54 am

I will get divorce decree after 1 month of sending Tier 1 Visa application. So I am ticking "Married" in application forms. I have one more question.

Do I need to update my marital status with UK Visa office once I get divorce decree in India?

Is Indian divorce valid in UK? I mean, can I marry in UK if I have divorce papers from India?

These may be stupid questions, but will cool my nerves :)

Thanks,

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:23 am

london_prem

Post by london_prem » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:16 am

Thanks a lot! That solved all my queries.

london_prem

Post by london_prem » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:38 am

sushdmehta mentioned that I should include my divorce petition and tick Married in marital status. The problem is my divorce petition is 15 pages long and is in Hindi. This divorce petition includes so many events in our married life like what happened with our marriage etc etc.

Can I just tick Married and simply not include my wife in my application? Is it required to include wife in visa application if one is married?

Thanks for all your help guys!

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:51 pm

london_prem wrote:Can I just tick Married and simply not include my wife in my application? Is it required to include wife in visa application if one is married?
Yes! and No!.Not every principal applicant makes a dependent application at the same time as his own.

Secondly, it is up to you to decide whether (or not) you want the caseworker to know that you're in the process of ending your marital relationship. It is question of personal opinion and personal decision ... someone might choose to not hide it but some else might choose to keep quiet until things reach a legal conclusion!!

As of now, you are married .. period! You'll fall into the single / divorced category only after a judge passes a divorce order!! UKBA wants to know your marital status (single / married / etc. etc.) at the time application is made. It's for you to decide whether you want to tell the rest of the story or not.

Does the form asks to answer a question as below (or similar):
If you are married, then do you intend to - a) live with your partner, or b) separate from your partner
:wink:

regards