ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Work experience

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

fomar

Work experience

Post by fomar » Thu May 20, 2004 9:00 am

I have sent my HSMP application and it was received on the 7th of May 2004. So I just need to clarify an issue in my application.

As work experience, I was working in the field of exhibition and events organizing for about 3 years. then I have switched my career to work in the IT field as a software developer after studying several courses for about a year.

I have claimed 4 years work experience. So do you think that I will get the points for 4 years although my work experience is in 2 different fields; IT and Exhibitions Organizing.

Cosmopol
Member of Standing

Post by Cosmopol » Thu May 20, 2004 4:20 pm

I don't recall seeing a restriction anywhere that all experience must be in the same field, let's hope it all adds up. Another thing is whether your pre-IT experience was of graduate level, but I'm sure you've covered that.

fomar

Post by fomar » Sat May 22, 2004 6:28 am

I have got this reference letter from my first employer in exhibitions and organizing field

To Whom It May Concern:
This is to certify that Mr. ****** was employed in ****** starting from 3/1999 to 1/2002. During his time in ******* Mr. Mehanna held a starting position of marketing executive starting from 3/1999 to 6/2000. He was soon promoted to project manager in the department of exhibitions and events organizing starting from 7/2000 to 1/2002. During his period as project manager, he managed to lead several projects into success. He was leading a team of many employees in a successful way.
While Mr. Mehanna was employed as project manager, his duties included:
• researching local and international markets to identify potential for new events.
• helping to secure new business.
• leading a team of 6 permanent employees and more than 10 free lancers in the exhibitions and events department for many different events.
• hiring, training and supervising support staff required for events.
• finalizing sponsorship agreements for each event.
• liaising with governmental sectors and ministries to agree on the auspices of ministers and VIPs.
• maintaining and developing both existing and new customer relationships.
• formulating strategies for the upcoming events under his supervision.
• setting up meetings with the board of the company to discuss current situation of the projects under his supervision.
• reviewing the process of coordinating venue management, caterers, stand designers, contractors and equipment hire.
• negotiating with foreign clients concerning their participation in the events under his supervision.
• reporting to the exhibitions and events department manager.
• identifying and selecting promotional and advertising options for the each event.
• setting up meetings with major clients and his staff.
• following up briefing process to media and art house.
• overseeing the status of the advertising campaign of each event.
• ensuring meeting deadlines and prioritizing tasks for each person in his staff.
• handling budgets and managing events costs.

While Mr. **** was employed as marketing executive, his duties included:
• producing detailed proposals for events including timelines, venue suggestions and budgets.
• selling stand/exhibition space to potential exhibitors.
• helping in creating a publicity campaign to promote the event to the public.
• liaising with clients and designers to create a brand or look for the event.
• securing and booking a suitable venue for the event.
• arranging accommodation for exhibitors and/or delegates.
• keeping accurate records of client requirements, bookings etc.
• organizing tickets, posters, catalogues and sales brochures.
• preparing delegate packs and papers.
• coordinating all contributors on the day of the event to ensure that all runs smoothly.
• organizing insurance and security for the event and ensuring that health and safety regulations are adhered to.
• coordinating venue management, caterers, stand designers, contractors and equipment hire.
• ensuring that the event is broken down efficiently and the venue cleared on time.
• liaising with other company functions such as sales, finance and operations;
• acting as liaison between client and art house by maintaining regular contact with both and ensuring that communication flows effectively.
• verbally presenting ideas and information.

So dyou think that this job as marketing executive and project manager will be considered as graduate level job

fomar

Post by fomar » Sat May 22, 2004 3:17 pm

In order to prove a graduate level job, what should I do?
Is HSMP team will evaluate the contents of my employers reference to decide it is a graduate level job? or I should state this in the letters themselves?
does anyone here could evaluate the points in the previous message to be a graduate level job in other words does an "Exhibitions and events planner" job can be considered as a graduate level job??

Cosmopol
Member of Standing

Post by Cosmopol » Sat May 22, 2004 4:49 pm

It sounds graduate level to me, but please see FAQ # 1. You claim it as graduate by virtue of claiming the specific number of points. Still, it doesn't hurt to mention everything in the cover letter.

fomar

Post by fomar » Sat May 22, 2004 5:41 pm

Do you mean that it could be considered as a senior level job also??

Cosmopol
Member of Standing

Post by Cosmopol » Sun May 23, 2004 3:38 pm

It could, of course - but as specifically mentioned in FAQ#1, I would try not to guess too much about how the HSMP team will evaluate your specific case. This doesn't mean I doubt your credentials, or that HSMP team will have any concern - just a personal preference not to speculate about things that are out of my sight and control. It seems you've done what you could, and now should just gather the patience required to wait a couple of months for their response.

I think it should go through well. Best of luck!

fomar

Post by fomar » Sun May 23, 2004 6:32 pm

thank you Cosmopol,

There is just one thing. Do you think that it will be better for me to get another letter from my employer stating my job was requiring an academic degree to stress on the graduate level job- or just leave it as is for the evaluation of the HSMP Team??