ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is Software engineers allowed to get Tier 2 General VISA

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

kaizen
Newly Registered

Is Software engineers allowed to get Tier 2 General VISA

Post by kaizen » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:30 am

Hi,

An UK based company is ready to sponsor me. I heard recently that software engineers are not given work permit in Tier 2 general category. I don't have master but 7+ yrs of experience.

The UKBA point calculator shows me 70 points and I am elligible.

Can I go ahead and submit for the VISA.

Thanks in advance

P.S: I am not sure whether this post is in the correct category. Pls guide me to existing post if any..

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Re: Is Software engineers allowed to get Tier 2 General VISA

Post by aruni4470 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:31 am

kaizen wrote:Hi,

An UK based company is ready to sponsor me. I heard recently that software engineers are not given work permit in Tier 2 general category. I don't have master but 7+ yrs of experience.

The UKBA point calculator shows me 70 points and I am elligible.

Can I go ahead and submit for the VISA.

Thanks in advance

P.S: I am not sure whether this post is in the correct category. Pls guide me to existing post if any..
I think you can apply for tier 2 general if your job is either in shortage occupations list and if not then the job must meet the requirements to pass 'Resident Labour Market Test'.

This is what I understand but, please wait for other senior members to reply. Aslo if you post in the Tier 2 General section there would be more people who know about it. Just a suggestion.

Shortage Occupations List :
The official list of jobs that there are not enough resident workers to fill. Employers who wish to hire a worker from outside the European Economic Area to fill a vacancy that is on a list of shortage occupations may do so without carrying out a resident labour market test.

Resident Labour Market Test:
This is the process an employer must follow before employing a person who is not a permanent resident of the United Kingdom if he/she is first required to show that no resident worker could be found to take a job.

kaizen
Newly Registered

Post by kaizen » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:20 pm

Thanks Aruni.Let me post it Tier 2 general