ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation after ILR....do I have to wait another year?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

graham834
Newly Registered

Naturalisation after ILR....do I have to wait another year?

Post by graham834 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:08 pm

I have been in the UK for 10 years and am going to apply for ILR. Do I have to wait another 12 months to apply for naturlisation??

JulesN19

Post by JulesN19 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:52 pm

I assume that you are not an EEA national exercising treaty rights or the family member of such a person, as you would otherwise not need to apply for ILR.

If you are married to or in a civil partnership with a British citizen, then you will be eligible for naturalisation immediately after you are granted ILR (provided you meet the other requirements). If not, then you must have ILR for one year before you are eligible.

graham834
Newly Registered

Post by graham834 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:37 pm

Thank you for your reply.

So technically I could apply for ILR and the next day apply for naturalisation? Does it matter what way I obtain my ILR as I am eligible to apply using the 10 year residency rule and also because I am married to a British Citizen, will this have any impact on my naturalisation application?