ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Life in the UK test website

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

boylove
Newly Registered

Post by boylove » Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:20 am

I was only looking for legal downloads. Guess I can carry the book around rather than try to scan 30 pages or so.
By the way, the base material is available for download (legally by Gov) on this site. Warning: It's not the book itself.

http://www.niace.org.uk/projects/esolcitizenship/

apple
Newly Registered

Questions and Answers

Post by apple » Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:04 pm

This site has some questions and answers for the Life in UK Test
http://www.3g4g.co.uk/Stuff/LifeInUk/

boylove
Newly Registered

Post by boylove » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:20 pm

Found this on eBay. Looks like somebody has come out with exam preparation software with question bank. Though, too late for me as I've already done my test.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Life-in-the-UK-Ci ... dZViewItem

TintinHerge

Passed the Test in a Minute and 20 seconds

Post by TintinHerge » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:08 pm

Hi

Took my test on Wednesday 10-ish in the Great portland street(london) Centre. The initial registration process was pretty slow and I had to wait for almost 20-25 minutes , even though I was there 10 mins before my allocated time. There was only this one guy who was doing it and there were almost 15 of us waiting for him.

Anyway, the test itself was very simple, though I cud have done without the numeric questions(what year did this happen and what percent of people do that). I finished the test in 1 minute and 20 seconds approx and the helpful Test Administrator was very surprised. I was however sure that I had passed and I did!!! I took the certificate and smiled - After a long time something had gone right in my life.

My Preparation: I read Chapters 2,3 and 4 twice (once on Monday and once on Tuesday evening) . Took me 2-3 hours preparation in total and I also practised the questions on this website http://www.3g4g.co.uk/Stuff/LifeInUk/ and that was enuf for me to pass the test - Of Course everyone has a different level of IQ and so read the chapters till you are comfortable with the contents.

Next step for me is to go to the NCS and apply . I have made an appointment (Earliest Avaialble in my area -Wandsworth - was in April, so I booked one in Wembley where I got one in 2 weeks time from now, which gives me enough time to get all the documents in place)

Good Luck to everyone who is taking the test and feel free to ask any questions.

I want to again congratulate the Owners, Moderators and everyone else on this board for all the information here - it has helped me immensely in planning everything smoothly.

Regards
Tintin

FromThere2Here

Post by FromThere2Here » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:21 pm

Hi, everyone. I just took the test at the Great Portland Street centre -- and passed.

My experience:

I arrived about 15 minutes early for the appointment, waited about one minute, and was shown into an office where they took my 34 quid and checked my passport. (No other ID needed.) The whole process took 5 minutes.

They then immediately took me to their main area, which has a bank of about 30 computer stations, and sat me down to take the test.

There's a mandatory four-question practice test. Don't panic if the questions are unfamiliar. I don't think they come from chapters 2, 3, and 4 of Life in the UK. (All regular test questions did, however.)

During the regular test, you can go back and forth as much as you like, as there are both "back" and "next" arrows.

Some thoughts on the questions:

-- Sorry, but I'm not going to reproduce the exact questions. The test rules specifically state that you agree not to reveal the exact questions.

-- Definitely study chapters 2, 3, and 4 of LIfe in the UK. I'm pretty up on current events but still could only have answered perhaps one-third of the questions without studying the book.

-- I found the test to be extremely fair. The Home Office weren't interested in tricking me or in testing my knowlege of statistics. I had memorized all statistics from chapters 2, 3, and 4 -- right down to the number of church-goers in Scotland. That was overkill. At most, the test contained four or five statistics questions, and all of these were high-level statistics, rather than detailed ones.

-- Instead of focusing on detailed statistics, make sure your understand the politics and voting system, the people of the UK, the rights and responsibilities of citizens, and laws (as covered in chapters 2, 3, and 4.

Finally, I'd suggest that you take your time. I completed my test in about 5 minutes, but decided to go back and review my answers. About halfway through, the computer crashed! (Thank you, Bill Gates, for my first heart attack.) After two attempts, the staff were able to recover the test. They later explained that clicking too quickly on the back arrow can crash the test.

So, in summary... Study hard but not obsessively. Relax. Take your time. And good luck to all.

bbdivo
Member of Standing

Post by bbdivo » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:15 pm

FromThere2Here wrote:So, in summary... Study hard but not obsessively. Relax. Take your time. And good luck to all.
...and don't press the back key to quickly!

Congrats on passing!

tekaweni

Post by tekaweni » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:42 am

Hi, I did the test yesterday and got my certificate. Afterwards the ten of us from that session compared notes and turns out we'd all been asked at least one question the same (Which is UK's largest ethnic minority).

I wondered if this was just co-incidence, the planets lined up just so, or whether there are a pool of 'always asked' questions to which random selections are added?

BTW chapters 2, 3 and 4 may be the only ones required for the test but the others are very useful for anyone. Wish they'd pushed a copy of this book into my hands when I first stepped off the plane five years ago!

Take care

samkma
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by samkma » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:46 pm

The site is underconstruction!!!

bbdivo
Member of Standing

Post by bbdivo » Wed May 24, 2006 11:58 am

Just got back from writing the test, I passed! Thanks to all the information in this thread, it was a rather painless process, I had answered all the questions in under 5 mins! Took another 5 to check them then was able to wait out in reception for my results.

There were 7 of us in total, it was strange cause there were 3 asian youngsters (overheard them saying they had just turned 18 ) but they had clearly lived in the UK all their lives as they spoke with proper brummie accents, but it appears they had to do the exam and then apply for naturalisation.

Jeffefilelds12
Newly Registered

practising the test

Post by Jeffefilelds12 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:10 pm

HI I can not remember where I saw the link to myuktest.co.uk. Just want to say thanks been a great. can recommend it.

Rega9
Newly Registered

Take it easy...

Post by Rega9 » Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:52 am

...passed the test last Friday. It's true there are some tricky questions, like for example who is the head of the Anglican Church - the manual (Life in the UK) on p.50 says "The King installed himself as head of the Church, and the title of Supreme Governor has been held by the King or Queen ever since", and four lines down, "...the Archbishop of Canterbury, who is the head of the Church." :?

(AND they spell "Buddhist" on p.50, and "Buddist" on p.63. Thanks God there is no question in the test on how to spell THAT!)

There's an evaluation test here:

http://www.british-citizenship-test.co.uk/test-yourself

(by the way their package includes the required text in PDF so it makes no sense to buy the book anyway. Also, they have a version for those who know what the typical Christmas meal is - tough questions only).

try this one:

57. What are the key features of the civil service?
- political partisanship and efficiency
- political neutrality and professionalism
- corruption and favouritism
- independence and efficiency

:shock: :roll:

OL7MAX
Member of Standing

Post by OL7MAX » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:22 pm

Most of the private sites posted here seem accessible but links to the government sites don't work (including the one in the OP).

The questions themselves are more irrelevant trivia than knowledge of "life in the UK". Ridiculous!

mansawant

Life in the UK Test

Post by mansawant » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:14 pm

Hi,

Just passed the test. I read the book throughly and practised online practice test and appeared for the test. It was easy. I think but book is sufficient for the test. But I am a dependent and now its my wife's turn who is main applicant as she is work permit holder. There is still time for us to file application for ILR. We arrived in UK in September 2004. But still we planned to appear for the test well in advance as there is no validity for the pass certificate.

Thanks & Regards,
Manish

katieuk
Newly Registered

Visit http://www.*************/ its free

Post by katieuk » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:57 pm

Hi,

I have been giving practice test on http://www.*********.co.uk/
Its really a good tool to gain confidence and good news is registration is free till 31st Dec 2006.

Kat

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:05 pm

And the bad news?
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

Tommy
Newly Registered

Post by Tommy » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:37 pm

Hi

I have a question here and wonder if anyone could help?

Is there an expiry date for the life in the UK test certificate?

Cheers

Tommy

christina
Newly Registered

Post by christina » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:47 pm

Hi, I have my test booked and have started reading the book. Just so I know, what is the correct answer to the question ' who is the head of the Anglican Church?' As a previous poster noted, the book states both the Queen and the Archbishop. I'm have a feeling that question will appear in my test.

christina
Newly Registered

Post by christina » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:28 pm

I did my test and passed this morning! Yay!!! I was nervous, but I need not have been. It was extraordinarily easy....lower primary school level I'd estimate. I was almost disappointed after memorising all those facts and figures.

In preparation I read the relevant chapters (2,3,4) a few times and checked out a couple of free sites for practise questions. In terms of content, I only got asked one statistical question in the exam. BTW, the question about the Head of the Church did not come in my test....I did get a question about what the 'kirk' referred to. The entire exam took me a couple of minutes (reading and ticking answers carefully) and then a couple more to review.

As people here have said, read the relevant chapters and you will be more than OK. Good luck everyone!

Juned
Newly Registered

New test

Post by Juned » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:34 pm

Does anyone have any idea when the new guide Life in the UK: A Journey to Citizenship 2007 will be available for those taking test after 2nd April?
Have searched long and hard but no luck. TSO website states available from March 21 but this would only leave my wife with 4 weeks to take the test before her FLR finishes. The IND website does state you need the new version, but its not available.Damn it.

Only found out about the rule change recently, otherwise we would have started preperations from New year.

stedman

Re: New test

Post by stedman » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:31 pm

Juned wrote:Does anyone have any idea when the new guide Life in the UK: A Journey to Citizenship 2007 will be available for those taking test after 2nd April?
Have searched long and hard but no luck. TSO website states available from March 21 but this would only leave my wife with 4 weeks to take the test before her FLR finishes. The IND website does state you need the new version, but its not available.Damn it.

Only found out about the rule change recently, otherwise we would have started preperations from New year.
Why can't she take it now?

Juned
Newly Registered

new test

Post by Juned » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:50 pm

Reply to Stedman-
Ideally, if she could she would. But in the time left before the new test comes out, 4 weeks, she does not feel confident of learning everything she needs to. We have a 10 month old son she has to look after so her day is pretty hectic.
If you ask me the home office have managed this preety poorly. They only allowed 4 moths from the time of the announcement to when the new rules for ILR takeeffect (2 April). For those such as my wife whose FLR expires in May this only gives them 4-5 months to prpeare fot the test. This may be ample for some but not for others. Language is not an issue for my wife but for those individuals where it is 4-5 months is near impossible I guess.

stedman

Post by stedman » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:58 pm

Juned - I prepared for the test by reading chapters 2, 3 and 4 of the book under the dryer at my hairdressers the previous afternoon. Saying it's easy is an understatement.

christina
Newly Registered

Post by christina » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:36 pm

Hi Juned....your wife should consider taking the test now before they decide to make it more complex. Just get it out of the way.

As I stated before, it was very, very easy. No tricky questions, just read the three chapters of the book. If English is not a problem, it should take her no more than an hour or two at most to read and digest. I booked my test at my local test centre a week prior to the exam. Maybe you could babysit one night to give her a chance to read the book :wink:

shabrawy
Newly Registered

Post by shabrawy » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:45 pm

Hi everyone, I passed the life in the UK exam a few days ago. However, I'll not be eligible to apply for the citizenship before about 10 months from now.

Will this test be valid when i submit the application form after 10 months or I have to do the new version??

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:10 pm

is there a lot of rush for people applying for the life in the uk test and also naturalisation now that the fees is increasing from the 1st of april