ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I apply for british citizenship? Help please

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

GeoUK

Can I apply for british citizenship? Help please

Post by GeoUK » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:27 pm

Hi guys,
This is my situation at the moment:
I'm an Italian citizen and I have been in the UK for almost 8 years now. I have recently applied for my permanent residency card, I have just received the card today.
I would like now, to apply for the British citizenship. Can I do that? What should I do?

Thanks for your help

G

keshgrover
Member of Standing

Re: Can I apply for british citizenship? Help please

Post by keshgrover » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:01 pm

GeoUK wrote:Hi guys,
I'm an Italian citizen and I have been in the UK for almost 8 years now. I have recently applied for my permanent residency card, I have just received the card today.
I would like now, to apply for the British citizenship. Can I do that? What should I do?

Thanks for your help

G
Providing all your previous employment history and tax papers you can apply now if you want. As you are an EEA national and you acquired PR automatically after the completion of fifth anniversary in the country using your treaty rights. PR stamp in your passport marely confirms your rights. In prior to that you also need to pass Life in UK test. You can either apply by post or by using NCS. There is usually a charge for using NCS. Your all documents will be copied and forwared by them and you will keep your originals with you.

Hope it helps.

Regards
KESH

GeoUK

Re: Can I apply for british citizenship? Help please

Post by GeoUK » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:07 pm

keshgrover wrote:
GeoUK wrote:Hi guys,

Thanks for your help

G
Providing all your previous employment history and tax papers you can apply now if you want. As you are an EEA national and you acquired PR automatically after the completion of fifth anniversary in the country using your treaty rights. PR stamp in your passport marely confirms your rights. In prior to that you also need to pass Life in UK test. You can either apply by post or by using NCS. There is usually a charge for using NCS. Your all documents will be copied and forwared by them and you will keep your originals with you.

Hope it helps.

Regards

Hi thanks for your reply.
When I applied for the permanent residence card, I had to prove, by sending tax papers, P45s, P60 etc, that I was exercising my treaty rights here for the past 5 years. Do I have to prove it all over again if I apply for the British citizenship? Or just my permanent residence card will do?

thanks again

BLK235

Post by BLK235 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:24 am

If you can prove that you excercised treaty rights for continuous 6 years (P60s, etc.) you can apply for BC now (no need to send PR card).

Alternatively you can wait 1 year and apply using your PR card, in which case no need to send P60s etc.