ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for ILR after 2 years marraige visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Haroon999
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Applying for ILR after 2 years marraige visa

Post by Haroon999 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:24 pm

Hello all,

okay i dont have much idea about this stuff, so i am sure my questions would already have been answered somewhere, but i did search and couldnt find much. Here it is,

- My wife has come on a 2 year marraige visa - now when should i apply for ILR (how long before her visa started) and

- What documents should i start preparing from now (she has around 5 months left)

- i understand there needs to be multiple proofs of her address - can anyone guide me on this as well?

Thank you in advance!

Haroon

Danbrix

Post by Danbrix » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:45 pm

Diva
Newly Registered

Post by Diva » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:07 pm

Haroon,

just to echo what Danbrix put, your best bet is the Home Office website.

Also, I'd start looking for documentation/bills etc in your wifes name/joint names etc as that's one of the 'biggies' in my personal experience.

Good Luck.

Diva

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:26 pm

Regarding the application date for ILR... your wife will be able to apply 28 days before the 2nd anniversary of the date she first entered the UK on her spouse visa. Apply on form SET(M). Has she passed the Life in the UK test, or completed an ESOL Citizen's course?
If it helps, post the UK entry date and the visa expiry date on the forum and it can be calculated for you.
She also needs a minimum of 6 separate proofs of joint address, from 3 different categories (eg. utility bills/medical letters/council tax etc)..spread as evenly as possible over the full 2 years. If the documents are in joint names then submit extra in single names.

Haroon999
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Haroon999 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:05 am

Hi there,

thank u very much for ur help. i have spent the last couple of months trying to get things done, but i am very worried now. here is the details:

1 - Her visa ends on 29th April but her 2 years in the UK is ending on 26th May. I understand therefore i shouldnt apply until 27th April right?

2 - She has taken 2 life in the uk tests - failed them both :( Now we are trying to do the esol citizenship course.

3 - Bills are biggest disaster. The problem is that we live within my parents house and so most things were on their names. I changed the gas and electricity bill into both me and my wifes name in november but the jokers at british gas only put it in my name! i changed it again, but am still awaiting our first joint bill.

4 - she has managed to get a NI Number and also open up a bank account (single) which statements are received monthly.

5 - we have quite a few medical letters (as we had a baby girl six months ago) so there are some doctor / hospital letters in her name.

Im not sure what else i can put in both our names. i tried with the house phone bill, but virgin media said no. tried with my mobile phone, tmobile also said no.

I have every now and then bought things of the internet in her name. Do letters from places like littlewoods count towards the six different types of proof?

Thanks,

Haroon

ajmal

Post by ajmal » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:19 am

Haroon999 wrote:Hi there,

thank u very much for ur help. i have spent the last couple of months trying to get things done, but i am very worried now. here is the details:

1 - Her visa ends on 29th April but her 2 years in the UK is ending on 26th May. I understand therefore i shouldnt apply until 27th April right?

2 - She has taken 2 life in the uk tests - failed them both :( Now we are trying to do the esol citizenship course.

3 - Bills are biggest disaster. The problem is that we live within my parents house and so most things were on their names. I changed the gas and electricity bill into both me and my wifes name in november but the jokers at british gas only put it in my name! i changed it again, but am still awaiting our first joint bill.

4 - she has managed to get a NI Number and also open up a bank account (single) which statements are received monthly.

5 - we have quite a few medical letters (as we had a baby girl six months ago) so there are some doctor / hospital letters in her name.

Im not sure what else i can put in both our names. i tried with the house phone bill, but virgin media said no. tried with my mobile phone, tmobile also said no.

I have every now and then bought things of the internet in her name. Do letters from places like littlewoods count towards the six different types of proof?

Thanks,

Haroon

The main thing you have to prove is that your marriage is still subsisting and both of you are living together. Keep these two points in mind and try to find out proves and give it to home office in your application

sameer9966

Post by sameer9966 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:21 am

Hello Casa,

I am in the same situation,

I have more than 6 evidences but it is spread over only for last one year,

until the first year end i did not need to open any accounts, N.I., dvla etc., for my wife and i was not aware that i need these things in future
for ILR which i regrett now very much, i dont know what to do.

Please Advice.
Thx

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:11 pm

Are you sure you have nothing for the 1st year. Not even junk mail..letters etc?
If you don't have proof in joint names, submit as much as you have in
single names.