ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Please someone help me, distressed and confused! EEA..

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

MissJenn
Newly Registered

Please someone help me, distressed and confused! EEA..

Post by MissJenn » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:08 am

Let me start by saying hello to the immigrationboards!

I've found myself in a neverending cycle of confusion concerning the EEA FP application. I'm constantly weighing myself down, worried that I will forget something and end up with a refusal. My current situation:

I'm an American married to a German whom is working and residing in London. We have been "together" since September 08', starting with an online relationship. Met in Jan 09, made it official and have visited eachother twice since then for a period of 2 weeks. We married in the states September 09 and started to discuss our options. Bringing him to the USA, I've heard can be quite difficult. So we decided to go the EEA FP route. I did my own research in hopes of getting the permit myself. I simply cannot afford hiring a immigration lawyer.

I have no idea where to get any real advice! We both work. He is exercising treaty rights in the UK. Neither of us have any real savings, but have enough to "get by." His company has offered me a job once I'm eligible in the UK.

I'm trying to gather all my supporting documents to send to an address I don't even have?! I've tried calling the Houston Embassy and Chicago.. I just get a voice operator. I need someone to explain to me all the steps to take!

On the supporting documents checklist, it explains that its not relevant to have these documents, but that if I do send them, they need to be original documents. Does this include his passport and birth certificate? It makes me real nervous sending my passport and all original documents via mail- is this part of the process? And its safe?

Please if anyone can shine some sunlight on this awful procedure, I'd be forever grateful :cry: We are both trying really hard to keep hope and not let this become more than it should be. Thank you in advance~

Jenn

dublin3
- thin ice -

Post by dublin3 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:55 am

I can find any reason why you shouldn't get EEA FP. if your husband is exercising EU treaty rights in UK then all you need is provide them evidence that he is working (couple of payslips and employer letter) evidence that you are in contact with him and you need to send your documents in original and I know you can't provide all original such as your husband's passport and his birth cert so for that you need to have certified copies for that and they are acceptable.
show them all the entry stamps on your passport and get the copy of your husband's passport with stamps in US.
Your EEA FP should be issued free of charge and quickly.
There is nothing to worry about.
Good luck!

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:17 am

Sorry for being less optimistic than the previous poster but your problem may be that you have not been together for too long. The embassy may suspect a marriage of convenience. Better send in enough proof of your relationship.

Legally you may be obliged to apply for the EEA FP but since you are a US citizen you could also try to enter the UK visa free. You could then present yourself to the immigration officer as the spouse of an EEA national with the necessary evidence (properly legalized marriage certificate and proof of your spouse's presence and activity in the UK) or enter as a visitor if you fulfill the necessary requirements for that category. The method of entry (even if you had entered illegally) has no effect on your future status in the UK provided that your spouse exercises treaty rights and the marriage is genuine.

dublin3
- thin ice -

Post by dublin3 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:29 am

100 % agree with 86ti

MissJenn
Newly Registered

Post by MissJenn » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:16 pm

Thank you both for responding!

86ti: Thanks for being honest, I completely understand that. From a perspective, I can see where that could be a problem. We have plenty of evidence to show that our relationship is authentic. 600+ pictures, phonebills of us talking everyday-several times a day, emails/messages.. I've collected payslips, phone bills, bank statements, plane tickets from both sides. I want to go the right way and not cause any trouble. Could we appeal if they refused on the grounds of "not being together long enough"? :cry:

He's sent me a copy of a certified copy birth certificate?! I have just a copy of his passport page and a copy of the stamps he received when he entered the US twice. How do I go about certifying copies of his passport? Obviously that would be something he'd have to do.

I'm really hoping for the best, and doing what we can to satisfy the officer. If we have to wait, we'll wait :roll:

BLK235

Post by BLK235 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:12 pm

I would be very careful when trying to enter UK as a visitor. If they learn you have a partner in the UK they may refuse you entry expecting you to enter on FP, at least that's what they do if the partner is british.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:01 pm

BLK235 wrote:I would be very careful when trying to enter UK as a visitor. If they learn you have a partner in the UK they may refuse you entry expecting you to enter on FP, at least that's what they do if the partner is british.
If the spouse is EEA and one can prove it they would have to let that person enter, see http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... rfamil.pdf .

MissJenn
Newly Registered

Post by MissJenn » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:23 am

BLK235 wrote:I would be very careful when trying to enter UK as a visitor. If they learn you have a partner in the UK they may refuse you entry expecting you to enter on FP, at least that's what they do if the partner is british.
I have no reason to lie.