ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for UK Visiting Visa from US for an Indian National

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

kums4u
Newly Registered

Applying for UK Visiting Visa from US for an Indian National

Post by kums4u » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:04 am

Hi,

I need some help here please.

My Mother-Inlaw is in the US at the moment visiting her elder daughter and is planning to come over to the UK to visit my family. But, the visiting visa needs to be done.

The question is, is it possible to apply for the visiting visa in the British Embassy in the US while she is in the US being a Indian National. If so, does anyone knows the procedure?

Or is it she should go back to india and then do the visiting visa from British embassy in india?

Thanks

andyb123

Post by andyb123 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:19 am

Yes it is possible, you do it the same way as you would when applying from home

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/applyonline/

dublin3
- thin ice -

Post by dublin3 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:27 am

Is she on tourist visa in US if she is then I think its not possible to apply from US.

kums4u
Newly Registered

Post by kums4u » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:11 pm

Thanks guys!

I think she is on a Visiting visa

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:13 pm

kums4u wrote: I think she is on a Visiting visa
Then she has to go back and apply for it from India, I'm afraid! Too bad she didn't apply for it before she left for the States. Kinda expensive doing it in this way.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:30 pm

andyb123 wrote:Yes it is possible, you do it the same way as you would when applying from home

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/applyonline/
Oops ... incorrect advice! You cannot apply for a UK visit visa from a country where you are not a legal resident (leaving aside the EEA exception detailed below).
How do I apply for a visa wrote:You can apply for a visit visa or EEA family permit at any full service visa-issuing office. If you are applying from within the EEA, you will need to show that you are living legally in an EEA member state. Living legally includes having a visit visa for the member state. For all other types of visa, you should apply in the country of which you are a national or where you legally live.
Since your mom-lin-law is in USA on a visit visa, therefore she cannot make an EC application from there.

regards

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:35 pm

I knew of someones mother who had gone to the USA from Pakistan on a visitors visa to stay a few months with her daughter, but on the way back wanted to stop in UK to spend 4 weeks with her son.

She applied at the British Embassy (somewhere in Califonia) for a visa was and was granted it. she spent 4 weeks and then returned back home to Pakistan.

I would say it might be possible and she should try it. There is no harm, the worst outcome would be that she would be refused

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:39 pm

batleykhan wrote:I knew of someones mother who had gone to the USA from Pakistan on a visitors visa to stay a few months with her daughter, but on the way back wanted to stop in UK to spend 4 weeks with her son.

She applied at the British Embassy (somewhere in Califonia) for a visa was and was granted it. she spent 4 weeks and then returned back home to Pakistan.

I would say it might be possible and she should try it. There is no harm, the worst outcome would be that she would be refused
The 'harm' is that one would have a refusal to their name, and have to declare it on every UK visa application thereafter!
Personally, I wouldn't take the risk. But I guess it's a matter of choice...

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:01 pm

I agree Rozen,but if she was to apply and says look I will be flying through Uk back to India, so just a short stop over here would be more viable and cheaper than having to fly back to India, applying from there to come back to UK

There is an equal chance that she could be refused in India if she applys from there

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:37 am

batleykhan wrote:I knew of someones mother who had gone to the USA from Pakistan on a visitors visa to stay a few months with her daughter, but on the way back wanted to stop in UK to spend 4 weeks with her son.
How many moons ago did this happen?

As per Immigration rules:
Immigration Rules > Entry Clearance wrote: 28. An applicant for an entry clearance must be outside the United Kingdom and Islands at the time of the application. An applicant for an entry clearance who is seeking entry as a visitor must apply to a post designated by the Secretary of State to accept applications for entry clearance for that purpose and from that category of applicant. Subject to paragrapgh 28A, any other application must be made to the post in the country or territory where the applicant is living which has been designated by the Secretary of State to accept applications for entry clearance for that purpose and from that category of applicant. Where there is no such post the applicant must apply to the appropriate designated post outside the country or territory where he is living.
regards

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:43 pm

How many moons ago did this happen?
Less than 10 months ago to be precise.

There is such thing called discretion when it comes to Immigartion rules, otherwise they would not have granted her the visa would they?.

Furthermore I should know because I advised her son to try it.
:lol:

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:32 pm

Rozen wrote: ]The 'harm' is that one would have a refusal to their name, and have to declare it on every UK visa application thereafter!
Personally, I wouldn't take the risk. But I guess it's a matter of choice...
Not to mention $$$ flushed down the sewers...