ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can my parents be called as dependents

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

malhoto
Newly Registered

Can my parents be called as dependents

Post by malhoto » Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:35 am

Hi there,

I am on work permit since November 2003. Can I call my parents on dependent work permit.

regards,
opi.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:33 am

Did you come to the UK on an intra-company transfer? If so the answer to your question is ... possibly! If you did not come on an intra-company transfer then the answer is .... no!

Much more detail in these IND instructions to their staff.
John

malhoto
Newly Registered

Dependent WP for my perents

Post by malhoto » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:52 am

Yes I came on Intra Company transfer. Can you guide me what are the documentation required to get it processed.

Regards,
opi.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:05 am

Hi, I am not sure I can add much to those IND instructions to their staff. But as regards the need for your parents to meet the condition ..... "is genuinely dependent upon the work permit holder" .... is that actually the case? If not you may still struggle to get them their ECs .... which is why I put "possibly" rather than "yes" in my previous post in this topic.

If anyone has actually gone down this route then do please do post! In the absence of that it needs to be pointed out that the applications will be outside the immigration rules. You would need to document that your move to the UK was an intra-company transfer, and prove that they are "genuinely dependent" upon you.

Given that the ECs, if issued, will contain a "No recourse to Public Funds" restriction, you obviously need to show that you can afford to pay for their upkeep while they are in the UK. But of course you would stop sending money out to them so maybe that is easy to prove.

Is the "genuinely dependent" requirement a problem?
John

malhoto
Newly Registered

Post by malhoto » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:48 am

Yes, Just wanted to know what is the Criteria to show Genuinely Dependent parents.

regards,
opi.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:04 pm

I think this is a totally factual matter. Simply are they dependent upon you or not?

I am not asking you to post any monetary figures but how often do you send money to your parents? And if you did not send that money, how would they survive?

The onus is on you to show that your parents are "genuinely dependent". Simply, how are you going to do that?
John

malhoto
Newly Registered

Post by malhoto » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:16 pm

My Dad is Working and is earning a fair amount of salary to support rest of the family. But a wife can also be a working lady back in Home country. She may earn sufficiently to support herself. How is she considered dependent and my parents can be considered as genuinely dependent if my Dad resigns from his current job.Isn't it.

regards,
opi.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:56 pm

Sorry, and obviously not what you want to hear, but based upon the facts you outline, I can't see how your parents are dependent upon you ... well certainly not at the moment.

If both parents stop working and retire, does that make them dependent upon you? Not necessarily at all. Their savings .... pensions? ... might ensure that they are dependent upon no one at all.

In order to start showing they are dependent upon you I think there clearly need to be regular remittances of money from you to them. Without such transfers of money I can't see how they can possibly be dependent upon you.

How old are your parents, by the way? Maybe this is something to consider in the future ... when they are older and they are genuinely dependent upon you.
John

malhoto
Newly Registered

Post by malhoto » Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:04 pm

Well both of them are below 60.
Thanks John. I also think this is not going to work.

regards,
opi.