ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Retaining Sth African citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sanfair
Newly Registered

Retaining Sth African citizenship

Post by sanfair » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:42 am

I am a South African citizen in the UK and am going to apply for British citizenship.
According to the SA House website, I should apply for exemption before applying for British citizenship in order to retain my South African citizenship. This needs a letter from the UK border agency confirming that I don't already have British citizenship.

I understand the rules are changing from May to 'probationary British citizenship' and I'd like to get in my application under the old rules.

Has anyone else been through this process?
Can you tell me how long it takes to get your letter from the UK Border Agency? And the best way to contact them? I only have an address which may take some time.
The exemption is supposed to take 15 days according to the SA House website. Is this right?

I'd appreciate any advice from anyone who's been through this process.

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:31 pm

I think to get the letter from the UKBA you need to look at the link below
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... itizenship

with regards to the new rules, if you already have ILR you wont be affected for another 3 or so years

skottel
Newly Registered

retaining SA citizenship

Post by skottel » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:38 pm

just completed the process - including UK citizenship.

link posted by f2k correct. UKBA took about a week to get letter to me (...costs £75).

SA house took about a month to get retention confirmation back to me. - i did it all by post (I submitted my naturalisation application with UKBA while I waited)