ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How Tier 4 -Student- Dependent Visa into Tier 1?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

greakgn
Newly Registered

How Tier 4 -Student- Dependent Visa into Tier 1?

Post by greakgn » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:56 pm

I am a student at University of Cambridge pursuing my MBA and will graduate in 2010. I entered UK last year in September 2009 on a 14 month Tier 4 General (Student) visa and my wife also joined with me on a student DEPENDENT VISA.

This was my first visit to UK but before marriage my WIFE LIVED IN UK as student from 2001 till 2006.
During her 5 year stay she worked part time as student (pursuing her PhD. from University of Cambridge) and full time in the last year of her stay. ( MASTERS and PHD)

At present she is working as she recently found a job. Keeping the long term goals in mind, it makes sense to change her status from dependent of a student to a Skilled Worker Category, as the time spent in UK on student or dependent visa doesn’t count for the period of stay needed before one can apply for immigration.

Please suggest if she can apply from UK to switch her visa status from a student dependent to a main applicant on a SKILLED LABOUR and under which category can she apply.

Regards

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:21 pm

AFAIK, dependents cannot make an in-country application as a principal PBS applicant. Any such application will have to be made from her home country.

Which tier should she apply for is dependent on which tier she qualifies for.
Highly skilled workers, investors and entrepreneurs
Sponsored skilled workers

regards

greakgn
Newly Registered

Post by greakgn » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:32 pm

Thsi will mean waste of time and money just to go back to India as she has to take vacation + we need to show funds in Indian Bank account (not enough money as prescribed at present) rather than a UK bank account + she has a job in UK

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:45 pm

Well, if the law doesn't allow a dependent to switch in-country what can you do??

All dependents wishing to change status in-country have reasons similar as yours, but ....

regards

tvn_ramesh
Diamond Member

Post by tvn_ramesh » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:53 pm

greakgn wrote:Thsi will mean waste of time and money just to go back to India as she has to take vacation + we need to show funds in Indian Bank account (not enough money as prescribed at present) rather than a UK bank account + she has a job in UK
you R right but we need to follow watever r the rules n initial applicants need to clear EC..

You can show funds in UK banks aswell

greakgn
Newly Registered

Post by greakgn » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:54 pm

I understand your point its just a little frustrating thats all.

How long does it take to get Tier1 visa in India, if we decide that she goes back just to apply for this. (for planning sake)

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:18 pm

Out-of-country application Processing Time

regards