ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier1 (general)

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

PerfectKamola
Newly Registered

Tier1 (general)

Post by PerfectKamola » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:33 pm

Hi All,

I am on a 5 year work permit visa with one particular company in the UK. I have worked for the company now for 4 years. There is a risk of me losing my job within the next year. In order to be on a safe side, I decided to switch from work permit to Tier 1. I reckon that will allow me to have enough time to find another job in case I lose the current one. Am I correct with my logic?

vks

Re: Tier1 (general)

Post by vks » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:19 pm

PerfectKamola wrote:Hi All,

I am on a 5 year work permit visa with one particular company in the UK. I have worked for the company now for 4 years. There is a risk of me losing my job within the next year. In order to be on a safe side, I decided to switch from work permit to Tier 1. I reckon that will allow me to have enough time to find another job in case I lose the current one. Am I correct with my logic?
Yes!
Regards,
vks

rizwan567
Diamond Member

Post by rizwan567 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:53 pm

You are strongly advised to switch to tier 1 general as soon as possible. Actually I would advise everybody on work permit to switch to Tier 1 General. Because once you get on Tier 1 General you are not tied to any employer or dependent on your employer.

Tier 1 General is much more valuable than work permit for following reasons:

1. You are a free bird
2. You can be self employed on this visa
3. You can remain jobless for some duration and still you are legal in the country
4. You can switch jobs without having to get permission from Home Office.
5. You are not vulnarable to your employer abuse any more! You can resign whenever you wish.

Hope this helps you choose the Tier 1 General.

high_aimer

Post by high_aimer » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:59 pm

I was exactly in your situation last year and switched to Tier 1 without wasting much time.

I didn't lose my job or the bank I work for didn't go bust but I do feel free, as Rizwan has said above :)

My employer is also happy with this as they don't need to let Home Office know every time they give me an increment, promote me or move me to a different business area.