ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switch WP to Student

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

paperwork

Switch WP to Student

Post by paperwork » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:35 pm

Hello!
This is a good website.

I am on a short duration workpermit and with a Masters degree from UK. I want to stay and find long duration work in UK. Work commitment doesn't let me look around for work so I am stuck with no opportunities to explore in the time I have on my Visa. I have been contemplating to take a diploma course to stay in UK as a student and thus explore more opportunities.

My query is
- Can I switch to become a Student.

- Will my MA degree hamper the Student visa, if I get admission in a year long DFES registered institute on diploma/certificate course in something different from what my Masters is in.

- Any other important aspect which I might have ignored.

Is there any other option?
Your suggestions would be really helpful.
Thanks

MWazir
Diamond Member

Post by MWazir » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:51 pm

- Any other important aspect which I might have ignored.

Is there any other option?

Time already spent in the country on WP will count for nothing as your 4 year ILR clock will be reset.

Why dont you consider switching to HSMP. With your qualifications and UK salaries, you should stand a good chance to get approved. After your HSMP approval and FLR, you are free to work for anyone you like without the hassles of WP. Switching to HSMP will not reset your ILR clock as both categories lead to settlement.

paperwork

WP to Student

Post by paperwork » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:48 pm

Thanks WAZIR,
That is an option but I don't have enough points to qualify for the HSMP. My workpermit is of short duration so it doesn't really count. The idea is to get a longer workpermit while in the country.

I stumbled on the following information on UKVISA website.

"If you do not enter the UK with a student or prospective student visa, or you are not studying on a course at degree level course or higher, you will not be allowed to extend your stay."

Does that mean one can't become a student if one is on a workpermit?

paperwork

WP-Student

Post by paperwork » Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:26 pm

hi, I called the home office to enquire if I could switch the workpermit to Student.

The answer was no I can't switch for that I need to go out and get EC.

Cheers!