ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

6 months Visitor Visa - Seeking extension within UK

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

yorkking

6 months Visitor Visa - Seeking extension within UK

Post by yorkking » Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:29 pm

Can anyone please share some experiences of seeking an extension visa for a visitor, visiting UK on a tourist visa for 6 months?

My MIL has come on a tourist visa - her 3rd visit since 1999 and I would like to know about the procedures/ feasibilities / real-life experiences of about success stories and rejections and any potential future impact of such rejections as well, please?

Thanks a million, as usual, to you folks.

YK

lemess
Member of Standing

Post by lemess » Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:42 pm

As far as I know there is usually very little chance of an extension to a 6 month tourist visa. I only know of cases where the outcome has been negative. My understanding is that unless there is some serious medical issue which prevents the visitor travelling, extensions beyond six months are virtually never given. if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me.

On what grounds is she going to apply for an extension ?

yorkking

hi

Post by yorkking » Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:33 am

no special reasons, except may be she could stay with her daughter for a few more weeks...
yk :D

lemess
Member of Standing

Post by lemess » Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:40 am

yorkking wrote:no special reasons, except may be she could stay with her daughter for a few more weeks...
yk :D
Unfortunately the chances of getting the extension are virtually non-existent then.

From the IND instructions to caseworkers here

2. DISCRETION OUTSIDE THE RULES FOR LEAVE TO REMAIN BEYOND SIX MONTHS
Leave to remain beyond the six month maximum period should only be granted in the most exceptional compassionate circumstances such as the illness of a close relative (see the instruction relating to "Carers"). Applications for leave to remain for a period beyond six months, where no such compassionate circumstances exist, should be refused (but see ANNEX B in the case of academic visitors and archaeological excavations and Section 3 of this chapter in the case of visitors for medical treatment).
Where, however, an applicant seeks to remain for no more than a few weeks because he was unable to obtain an earlier flight, leave may be granted provided the application was "in time" (within the original period of leave) and the ticket with a confirmed flight is produced.