ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

US National Engaged to Irish Citizen...now what?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

imf240
Newly Registered

US National Engaged to Irish Citizen...now what?

Post by imf240 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:09 pm

Hi Everyone

I was reading through all the posts to see if I can get these answers from pervious posts and I couldn't find it so here it goes.

My fiancee and I are getting married April 26th and have a letter from the HSE to show as evidence to the immigration officer. I thought the only thing would need is a stamp 4 which would grant me to live and work here for 12 months. I never even heard of a Residence card until I discovered this website. Do I need to apply for a Residence card? Do I need the Residency card before I get a stamp 4? Do I have to renew my stamp 4 every year until I can apply for permanent residency? What happens if there is an emergency and I have to go to the states and I dont have my residency card? Doesnt the stamp 4 make it so that I can live and work here? if so wat is the point of the residency card?

And should I be applying for anything else at this stage? cuz I dont need to apply for a work visa since I'm going to get a stamp 4 right? geez I didnt realize it would be so difficult and time consuming to live here.

dublin3
- thin ice -

Post by dublin3 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:26 pm

First of all congratulations on your engagement !
You can apply for spouse of Irish national but for that you need to b married to Irish national or you can apply for unmarried partner visa and for that you need to prove that you are in relationship with Irish national for more then 2 years with proof.
I think residence card is something really different and residence card is granted to people they applied under EU law.
I don't know what will you get at the moment but try not to overstay and leave the country and you can come back and when you are married apply for spouse of Irish national visa and you will be granted 5 years residence permit(depends on immigration officer).
wish you best of luck!

esharknz

Post by esharknz » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:07 pm

Not long been through the process myself. Got around 4 years as the spouse of an irish national (as my passport expires in 2014). Not a difficult process at all in comparison to other countries, basically just involves showing up at the GNIB (or appropriate garda station) with a marriage certificate, Irish spouse and both passports.

If you register at the GNIB for any length of time (I think it's 3 months plus) you are given a card there on the day (which I'm told must be carried on you at all times), I think this is what you are referring to as a residency card.

You don't mention what your current status is. If you are here as a tourist, they will more than likely extend this to allow you to stay until you get married (although not guaranteed) under a stamp 3 (no work). Once you are married you'll just need to go in again to get a stamp 4 and you are allowed to do what you want.

imf240
Newly Registered

Post by imf240 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:04 am

Thanks rebel82 and esharknz

When I arrived in Ireland I automatically got the 90 day stamp to stay here for 3 months which is up the 22nd of this month. So my fiancee and I are going to get my passport stamped again for another 3 months and in april when we get married we will go to the immigration office to get the stamp 4. So going by what you are saying to me I dont need to fill out any applications for this residency permit correct? They will just give me whatever I need to stay in the country? How come some poeple on these boards only got a 1 year stamp and then had to wait 8 months for a residency permit? The Eu1 application I guess is what its called

Also another question, does anyone know if you need to report that you are staying here in Ireland to the American Embassy? Are you still required to fill out tax paperwork for AMerican even ifyou live here in Ireland?

dublin3
- thin ice -

Post by dublin3 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:20 am

Hi there!
As a spouse of Irish national you need to apply in person if you are living in state legally and if you are illegal in state then you need to make written application which can take up to year.
http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP07000024
so in your case once you are married just go to GNIB with your wife and marriage certificate and you will be issued stamp4.
and EU1 application is for non Eu spouse/family members of EU citizen and its not your case for example if I am spouse of British citizen who is living is Ireland then I need to fill up EU1 application.
and about Tax..
To be honest I don't know completely but I have an Idea that they have agreements with United states about tax or something.
http://www.revenue.ie/en/practitioner/l ... -1997.html
have a look at above link I hope it will help you.
Good luck man.

imf240
Newly Registered

Post by imf240 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:24 am

thanks for clarifying rebel82. haha my future hubbie and i appreciate it! :D

esharknz

Post by esharknz » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:09 pm

Yeah, no paperwork is required as long as you keep your status up to date. The garda was only interested in passports and the marriage certificate. An incredibly easy process.

BTW the garda mentioned that they are giving 5 year stamps (he was looking at a piece of paper on his board) to irish spouses due to the metock ruling, so as to bring what Irish spouses get into line with EU spouses.
Just something to bear in mind if you get a lesser time.

mdg
Newly Registered

Post by mdg » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:12 am

Hello,
I found this topic really useful, even though it's not my case. I just have one question regarding timeline, will this stamp 4 (that entitles to work without a work permit) be issued to the spouse of the irish citizen withouth any delays? will it be done on the same day that you show up at the Garda?

Thanks

debe61
Newly Registered

Post by debe61 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:07 am

Hi mdg,

When I applied in Dec 2006, it took 2 weeks from the time we went in for our appointment, to get my stamp 4 issued.