ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Working Tax credit and ILR

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

beanjay1
Newly Registered

Working Tax credit and ILR

Post by beanjay1 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:10 am

This is my second question on ILR.

My partner has NRPF. Working Tax Credits are classed as Public Funds. In response to an enquiry to the Tax Office we were awarded Working Tax Credit against my partner’s income. We wrote to Revenue & Customs telling them my partner had NRPF and we therefore could not accept Working Tax Credit.

The letter that we got back from Revenue & Customs said that because my partner was the dependent of a British citizen who was entitled to Working Tax Credit the Border Agency could not consider that this constituted her receiving Public Funds even though the Credits are paid to her and not me.

My questions are; does my partner have to declare that she is receiving Working Tax Credits where it asks the question on the ILR form and if so should we submit the letter from Revenue & Customs with the application?

Thanks

Bob

lanr3e

Post by lanr3e » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:37 pm

What is NRPF?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:39 pm

lanr3e wrote:What is NRPF?
No Recourse to Public Funds! I worked it out!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:08 pm

beanjay1, if you read the first pinned topic in this Claiming Benefits section of this board you will understand that claiming Tax Credits is not a problem, and why.

Do appreciate that any claim for Tax Credits, in respect of a couple living together, must be made in joint names.
John

[iD]

Post by [iD] » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:40 am

John wrote:beanjay1, if you read the first pinned topic in this Claiming Benefits section of this board you will understand that claiming Tax Credits is not a problem, and why.

Do appreciate that any claim for Tax Credits, in respect of a couple living together, must be made in joint names.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... cfunds.pdf

I think here it says you're not allowed to :/
weird :S
please correct me if i'm wrong

Dr Logic
BANNED

Post by Dr Logic » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:51 am

[iD] wrote:
John wrote:beanjay1, if you read the first pinned topic in this Claiming Benefits section of this board you will understand that claiming Tax Credits is not a problem, and why.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... cfunds.pdf

I think here it says you're not allowed to :/
weird :S
please correct me if i'm wrong

I think too..
Real Eyes Realize Real Lies....

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:50 am

[iD], you are wrong! Dr Logic, you are wrong to support that view.

[iD], you provide a link to the Public Funds leaflet. Now all you have to do is to study it! In particular, go to page 4 of 7, and read the section headed "b) My partner is allowed to claim tax credits - can I claim them too?".
John