ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BC for children

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

chakku71

BC for children

Post by chakku71 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:28 am

My wife and I have been naturalised.
Our children were born in the UK but prior to our ILR and hence are Indian citizens with ILR.
I have a job opportunity which requires us to be in the USA for 3 years. If children were to accompany me, they would loose their ILR. I do not want to apply BC for them now (I want children to make that decision for themselves). Three years from now when we come back, I am assuming that the ILR would have expired. Can we then apply for BC from USA for my children before returning if my children please to do (they would be 13 yrs then).
Thank You
BB

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:50 pm

It appears from the information below (quotes) that it is not possible. As far as I can understand it, the biggest issue being absence from UK restricted to 90 days in the 12 months immediately prior to the application.
Standard requirements for naturalisation wrote:Start of the residential qualifying period
The residential qualifying period will be worked out from the day we receive your application.

Residential requirements
To demonstrate the residential requirements for naturalisation you need to:
â– have been resident in the United Kingdom for at least five years (this is known as the residential qualifying period); and
â– have been present in the United Kingdom five years before the date of your application; and
â– have not spent more than 450 days outside the United Kingdom during the five year period; and
â– have not spend more than 90 days outside the United Kingdom in the last 12 months of the five-year period; and
â– have not been in breach of the immigration rules at any stage during the five-year period.
This said, applications for naturalisation from outside UK can be made to the nearest British Diplomatic post.
If you are elsewhere wrote: Your application form, fee and supporting documents should be sent to the nearest British diplomatic post. You may have to pay an additional fee to cover the cost of the post forwarding copies of your documents on to us. You should contact the post for details of this fee.
regards

chakku71

Post by chakku71 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:34 am

Thank You sushdmehta,
The option would be to apply at the British Consulate in the US. Otherwise I would need to apply for visa- 'dependent of British citizen'!
BB