ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Questions on Extension

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

crazy3gg
Newly Registered

Questions on Extension

Post by crazy3gg » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:14 am

Hello there,

Just need your quick feedback/suggestion for my visa extension in couple of days. I started my course 1 year ago, had to extend another year to finish my thesis & university allowed me to do so. The border agency also never had any issues allowing me to finish my thesis and granted 1 year.

I met with an accident in late 2008 and couldn't submit my thesis on time. The university is very strict on rules, I cleared my thesis but due to late submission I was given penalty and which caused to failure on my degree. Although my late submission was duly notified and approved but wasn't accepted, since the issue was partially Uni's mistake they have agreed to provide me a chance to re-sit and submit my project this year.

The decision is still pending as appeal was made early this year,although I have been confirmed by a senior person in board that it would be on my favour. Here stays my problem: Current visa expires end of this month, I have managed to get a letter from Uni. Board on my issue of appeal (and its progress) and further to which I will be allowed to submit my project, I have medical records from NHS. Will my extension be approved with the letter or should I provide more documents?

I am bit lost and the fact I have less than a week to apply makes the situation worse. I have all documents (Maintenance Funds, University Letter etc.,) in hand and the new form looks super confusing with those 40+ pages (or is there a separate form for extension?).

Any feedback or suggestions are welcome! Thanks in advance for your time here.

Cheers

joh118

Re: Questions on Extension

Post by joh118 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:25 am

crazy3gg wrote:Hello there,

Just need your quick feedback/suggestion for my visa extension in couple of days. I started my course 1 year ago, had to extend another year to finish my thesis & university allowed me to do so. The border agency also never had any issues allowing me to finish my thesis and granted 1 year.

I met with an accident in late 2008 and couldn't submit my thesis on time. The university is very strict on rules, I cleared my thesis but due to late submission I was given penalty and which caused to failure on my degree. Although my late submission was duly notified and approved but wasn't accepted, since the issue was partially Uni's mistake they have agreed to provide me a chance to re-sit and submit my project this year.

The decision is still pending as appeal was made early this year,although I have been confirmed by a senior person in board that it would be on my favour. Here stays my problem: Current visa expires end of this month, I have managed to get a letter from Uni. Board on my issue of appeal (and its progress) and further to which I will be allowed to submit my project, I have medical records from NHS. Will my extension be approved with the letter or should I provide more documents?

I am bit lost and the fact I have less than a week to apply makes the situation worse. I have all documents (Maintenance Funds, University Letter etc.,) in hand and the new form looks super confusing with those 40+ pages (or is there a separate form for extension?).

Cheers
I would just apply for an extention but include a letter of explanation from you and your university.

It should be fine. Until your case has been decided, you will still be in the student category, so, there will be no distruption to your studies.

crazy3gg
Newly Registered

Post by crazy3gg » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:32 am

joh118 wrote:

Cheers
I would just apply for an extention but include a letter of explanation from you and your university.

It should be fine. Until your case has been decided, you will still be in the student category, so, there will be no distruption to your studies.
Thanks mate, that was a quick reply. I had similar thoughts although felt bit paranoid with all the latest events with point based system & immigration law getting tougher. I believe the case worker will take into account on my personal letter that I plan to submit to border agency with information surrounding my extension. I have also been told that, I cannot do multiple extensions on student visa when doing masters, which also made me worry a bit.

The more clear the application is with all required document, chances of approval is higher IMO. Thanks again for your time, much appreciated.

Cheers

makkan00
United Kingdom

Post by makkan00 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:00 pm

Cheers
On the last part they ask if you want to write anything which they should consider, use that to explain it, and use additional sheets if necessary.
The member of the board who mentioned that decision may go in your favor can help you too by giving you a letter, which you can accompany with your application.
Please be clear and concise with your wordings and explanation, and the tone you use.
Exceptions are always there, and wish you best of luck.

crazy3gg
Newly Registered

Post by crazy3gg » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:29 am

Hi Makkan,

Thanks a lot for your response on my post, I posted my application yesterday and hopefully they should have received it by now. I have explained about my status in a personal letter and have also attached letter from examination board, I have also included a letter from Student Support & Student Progress & Assessment Office.

The 41 pages were sure a big pain to understand, but spending 1 hour just reading them will give you clear idea what you need to fill and what you need to skip, however it still was tricky. I'd suggest students to apply with help of Immigration Office within University, they offer a lot of help imo.

Thanks for your wishes, I hope my application process through well. Any idea, how long does it take to get an Acknowledgement Letter and followed by the result of extension?

Cheers
makkan00 wrote:On the last part they ask if you want to write anything which they should consider, use that to explain it, and use additional sheets if necessary.
The member of the board who mentioned that decision may go in your favor can help you too by giving you a letter, which you can accompany with your application.
Please be clear and concise with your wordings and explanation, and the tone you use.

makkan00
United Kingdom

Post by makkan00 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:10 pm

crazy3gg wrote:Hi Makkan,

Thanks a lot for your response on my post, I posted my application yesterday and hopefully they should have received it by now. I have explained about my status in a personal letter and have also attached letter from examination board, I have also included a letter from Student Support & Student Progress & Assessment Office.

The 41 pages were sure a big pain to understand, but spending 1 hour just reading them will give you clear idea what you need to fill and what you need to skip, however it still was tricky. I'd suggest students to apply with help of Immigration Office within University, they offer a lot of help imo.

Thanks for your wishes, I hope my application process through well. Any idea, how long does it take to get an Acknowledgement Letter and followed by the result of extension?

Cheers
makkan00 wrote:On the last part they ask if you want to write anything which they should consider, use that to explain it, and use additional sheets if necessary.
Wish you best of luck,,,well you may get acknowledgment letter within 1-2 weeks, but as your case is special so it may take 2-6 months.
But best of luck and let us update.