ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HMRC Advisers take on Tax Credit's eligibility

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

bobo77

HMRC Advisers take on Tax Credit's eligibility

Post by bobo77 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:50 am

Hi everyone,

I called HMRC this morning and spoke to an adviser about claiming Tax Credits as I have just received my ILR (my wife still on FLR though).

From the little I could understand from our discussion (he has a beautiful Irish accent that I couldn't really follow very well and I got tired of saying 'can you repeat that please'), he seems to be implying that because my wife has immigration restrictions (no recourse to public funds) that our application for tax benefit will not be straight forward and will be delayed, I can even swear that he said we'll probably not get it.

I told him that from what I understood about Tax Credits, as long as the main applicant has no such restrictions that s/he could claim with a partner, he said that was before that the law changed recently.

He offered to send me the claim form anyway but warned that the application will be delayed and that even if we do get anything it probably wont be the full value.

Can anyone corroborate this please?

Thanks in anticipation.

herts
Member of Standing

Post by herts » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:28 pm

bobo77, I just did a check on tax credits by putting your wife's immigration status as subject to immigration control, and you as main applicant as no immigration issues. The result shows you getting tax credits. Don't know why the Irish guy advised you can't get Tax credits...

bobo77

Post by bobo77 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:06 pm

Thanks herts
herts wrote:bobo77, I just did a check on tax credits by putting your wife's immigration status as subject to immigration control, and you as main applicant as no immigration issues. The result shows you getting tax credits. Don't know why the Irish guy advised you can't get Tax credits...