ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

VISA SETTELEMENT SPOUSE/CP (KOL REQU)

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rizwan_ali

VISA SETTELEMENT SPOUSE/CP (KOL REQU)

Post by rizwan_ali » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:33 pm

Hi guys i would like to ask you wht type of visa this called i m bit confused i applied my settlement visa and they grant me a visa SETTLEMENT SPOUSE/CP ( KOL REQ) i remember one of mine friend applied b4 me he granted as just SPOUSE/CP i just want to differenciate b/w

1: visa settelment spouse/cp (kol req)
2: visa spouse/cp

please guys help if anyone knows better has this experience.
Kindest Regards

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:02 pm

You've obviously been issued with a visa after living for 4 years or more with your spouse. KOL required means that when you arrive in the UK you will need to take the Life in the UK test (Knowledge of Life - KOL).
Once this has been passed you can apply immediately for ILR rather than wait the normal 2 years for ILR as the regulations stand at the moment.

rizwan_ali

Post by rizwan_ali » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:11 pm

Casa wrote:You've obviously been issued with a visa after living for 4 years or more with your spouse. KOL required means that when you arrive in the UK you will need to take the Life in the UK test (Knowledge of Life - KOL).
Once this has been passed you can apply immediately for ILR rather than wait the normal 2 years for ILR as the regulations stand at the moment.
Thanks Casa i was checking the home office webiste its same as u said
thanks very much

Ginelle
Newly Registered

settlement

Post by Ginelle » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:44 pm

Can I ask where someone found this information on the home office site? I have the same status of Settlement Spouse/KOL. Of course when my Visa was returned, it was returned with no information that told me that my status was settled apart from having to do the Life in the UK test! I thought I had a regular 2 year Visa! Since everything about paying large amounts of money to a government agency, who can refuse you and not refund your money concerns me, I'd like to check the website and find the wording but have yet to find it so if you can direct me, that would be great! Thanks!

mochyn
Diamond Member

Re: settlement

Post by mochyn » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:03 am

Ginelle wrote:Can I ask where someone found this information on the home office site? I have the same status of Settlement Spouse/KOL. Of course when my Visa was returned, it was returned with no information that told me that my status was settled apart from having to do the Life in the UK test! I thought I had a regular 2 year Visa! Since everything about paying large amounts of money to a government agency, who can refuse you and not refund your money concerns me, I'd like to check the website and find the wording but have yet to find it so if you can direct me, that would be great! Thanks!
Can you supply a bit more information.
Exactly what are you asking?

Ginelle
Newly Registered

Post by Ginelle » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:35 pm

I was inquiring about the message before where someone said that they found the information on the Home Office website that explained about the Settlement Spouse/KOL and what the next steps are for ILR. As I received my visa in the mail with no explanation of what my status was, I assumed I only had a 2 year visa (and therefore had to wait 2 years to apply for ILR). After reading this forum it explains it a bit differently but I'd like to find it on the home office website (which I can't).

Also, if anyone knows how long it takes to process an ILR application that would be very helpful to know!

Thanks!

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:42 pm

If you have been issued with this visa, you only need to pass the Life in the UK test and you can apply for ILR immediately without waiting for the full 2 years. Postal applications are taking up to 4 months at present, but for a premium fee you can apply in person at one of the PEO's and be issued with the visa (all being well) on the same day.
I'm not so hot with links...but hopefully Vinny (who is the King of Links) will help out!
I would suggest you get the test out of the way and apply ASAP as fees are due to rise in April.

Ginelle
Newly Registered

Post by Ginelle » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:30 pm

Test is done & dusted - I just want to time the app right so as to not be with a passport/visa for such a long period of time!

Danbrix

Post by Danbrix » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:51 pm

UK Visas wrote:Where an applicant has satisfied all of the requirements for Indefinite Leave to Enter (ILE), except the KOL requirement, they should be granted 27 months Leave to Enter (LTE). During this time they can, at any point, satisfy the KOL requirement in the UK and apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR).
See also Section 29 of this.

immigrationuk2009
BANNED

Post by immigrationuk2009 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:08 pm

Danbrix wrote:
UK Visas wrote:Where an applicant has satisfied all of the requirements for Indefinite Leave to Enter (ILE), except the KOL requirement, they should be granted 27 months Leave to Enter (LTE). During this time they can, at any point, satisfy the KOL requirement in the UK and apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR).
See also Section 29 of this.
In simple words you have been granted Spouse visa instead of ILR as you have not done Life in Uk Test...

So while in UK when you would pass Life in Uk Test you can stright apply for ILR....

UK_Banned_Member

DesignChick
BANNED

Post by DesignChick » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:15 pm

Hi Uk Immm,

I will be sending in my application for ILE in April, and will be requesting the KOL req. endorsement (been married and lived outside of the UK over 7 years.)

My question is, after successfully doing the test and appyling for the ILR how many years before I can apply for my British passport?

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:35 pm

DesignChick wrote:Hi Uk Immm,

I will be sending in my application for ILE in April, and will be requesting the KOL req. endorsement (been married and lived outside of the UK over 7 years.)

My question is, after successfully doing the test and appyling for the ILR how many years before I can apply for my British passport?
I'm pretty sure it's three years as the rules state that a spouse of a uk citizen has to be in the uk for three years before naturalisation (2 years on spouse visa and one year on ILR).
I tell it like it is.

DesignChick
BANNED

Post by DesignChick » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:56 pm

OK thanks,

It's seems so far away and my mind is already muddled with everything my husband and I need to present for the ILE application, I haven't even done any research!

Thanks again.

immigrationuk2009
BANNED

Post by immigrationuk2009 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:38 pm

Hi
boulevardofbrokendreams wrote:
DesignChick wrote:Hi Uk Immm,

I'm pretty sure it's three years as the rules state that a spouse of a uk citizen has to be in the uk for three years before naturalisation (2 years on spouse visa and one year on ILR).
Yes do agree ...But little confusion as according to rules if you have been granted ILR then after one year you can apply for naturalization..

In this case looking he can apply for ILR after 3 years but rules are going to changed on July 2011 so he would be applying for Probationary period for 3 years...

UK_Banned_Member

juliajules1979
- thin ice -

Post by juliajules1979 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:37 pm

If you have been married for 6 years, lived in the UK for for 4 years togther and then 2years in my home country, can I apply for ILE Kol REq?

Or do I need to have lived 4 years outside the UK with my spouse?

Many thanks

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:50 pm

Unfortunately it has to be a minimum of 4 years together outside of the UK. prior to your application.

juliajules1979
- thin ice -

Post by juliajules1979 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:53 pm

Many thanks for your clarification

UKGuyLondon

Post by UKGuyLondon » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:33 pm

Hi,

I'm not thread crashing but my issue is a similar one which may help others hence I am continuing in this thread....

My wife and I have been married for 7 years and living outside of UK. She has recently been granted a Spouse/cp visa whereas she should have been granted the same with a KOL req endorsement.

Can we have this changed once we get to the UK? Should she just give the KOL test anyway once we get there and then go to UKBA for an endorsement change?

Thanks in advance.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:09 pm

It may be easier if she has the time, to ask the issuing consulate to amend it. Did you make it clear in the application that you were applying for ILE and had been living outside the UK together for more than 4 years?
You've been married for all of the 7 years, or was part of this time spent as Unmarried Partners?

UKGuyLondon

Post by UKGuyLondon » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:49 am

Hi Casa,

Thank you for your reply.

I did made it clear in my cover letter that we have been married since 2003 and that we are seeking ILE but the KOL endorsement was still not given.
We are planning on leaving for the UK (we're currently based in Pakistan) within a couple of months. This does not allow us to submit the request for an endorsement change given the current processing times for Pakistan.