ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Looking for advice about Fiance(e) visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

MisfitMeL

Looking for advice about Fiance(e) visa

Post by MisfitMeL » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:47 pm

Hello everyone!

I am Indian and my boyfriend is British. I am currently in India. We have decided to get married some time this year and my plan is to get a Fiance visa first, so I can join him back in the UK, and then after getting married, to move onto the Spouse visa.

After a bit of searching around the Immigration website, I couldn't find anything that explicitly stated what form needed to be used for the Fiance application and exactly what documents are needed for this purpose.

Could anyone point me in the right direction please?

Am I correct in assuming it is the Settlement Visa Application - VAF4A that is needed?

The list of conditions specified that we had to prove the following:-

- you plan to marry or register a civil partnership within a reasonable time (usually six months);

How do you show this? i.e. evidence of intention to marry?

- you plan to live together permanently after you are married or have registered a civil partnership;

Again, how do you prove this? He owns a flat and I will move in with him. So I guess any documents pertaining to this, like property deed etc? Do I have to submit photos of the place, inside and out?

- you have met each other;

Out of the three years of our relationship, I was in the UK for about 2 1/2 years, but we didn't live together. However there are pictures of us on holiday and such. Do we have to submit emails and text messages? If so, what kind? I feel a bit weird sharing such private communication :?

- until you are married or have registered a civil partnership, there is somewhere for you and any dependants to live without help from public funds

I guess documents pertaining to his flat should once again suffice?

- you and any dependants can be supported without working or needing help from public funds

He is self employed and earns reasonably well to support me until I am allowed to work. So bank statements and statements of his company's financial status?

He plans to come visit me some time soon, so I guess that could also be used as proof of our relationship being genuine? Do friends/family have to give some sort of testimony of our relationship?

Also, does there have to be some sort of 'formal' engagement and wedding ceremony? We are not religious/traditional so don't really see the need for a ring or a party or church service etc. either for the engagement or the wedding (though we would have a reception). Could this cause problems?

I suppose I only have to bother about the Certificate of Approval once I get to the UK right?

Do I have to get a TB screening certificate or something as part of my Fiance visa documentation?

And I just learned about the new Identity cards. Would I be issued with one as part of my Fiance visa or will this happen only when I switch to the Spouse category?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for your patience. I have a feeling I will have lots more to ask in the coming weeks :oops:

I'm soooo nervous and sooooo excited at the same time! :P

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:28 pm

http://londonelegance.com/transpondia/fiance/

Read this,it answers allyour questions :wink:

MisfitMeL

Post by MisfitMeL » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:17 pm

Thanks a lot batley!! The webpage definitely answers quite a few questions. Cheers! :D

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:52 pm

If it doesnt you know where to come to :D

MisfitMeL

Post by MisfitMeL » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:31 pm

I'm back boys and girls :P

Thanks to batleykhan for that great URL and I had a nosey at some of the threads here. It's been very useful for helping me build up a list of documents we'll need for the visa!

A few questions though, if you folk don't mind....

1) Is it compulsory for me as the applicant to submit my birth certificate, in addition to my passport? I will be applying for the visa in India. However, I was born in Kuwait and I'm not really sure I have a birth certificate :oops: I have something that's scribbled with unintelligible arabic and I'm guessing that's all there is to my 'origins' :lol:

2) Is it necessary for all of the sponsor's documents to be the originals? Or is it acceptable to have them as some sort of notarized copy?
Fiance is in the UK and isn't exactly sure when he can fly down, and I'm paranoid at the thought of sending such originals through the post :?

3) Which brings me to this question, would it be to my advantage to have him here with me when I make the application? I know I'd like him here for moral support, but considering it could take up to three months for a decision, does he really have to be here if all I need to do it turn up at the centre and hand in my application?

4) Apart from the sponsor letter, is there a sponsorship undertaking form that should be included? :?

5) Should his flat be surveyed to show it is big enough for the two of us? (and it really is fairly big!)

That's all I can think of right now :oops:

Cheers!! :lol:

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:58 pm

1) Is it compulsory for me as the applicant to submit my birth certificate, in addition to my passport? I will be applying for the visa in India. However, I was born in Kuwait and I'm not really sure I have a birth certificate Embarassed I have something that's scribbled with unintelligible arabic and I'm guessing that's all there is to my 'origins' Laughing

No its not an requirement.

2) Is it necessary for all of the sponsor's documents to be the originals? Or is it acceptable to have them as some sort of notarized copy?
Fiance is in the UK and isn't exactly sure when he can fly down, and I'm paranoid at the thought of sending such originals through the post Confused

All docs must be originals. Only notarized copys of sponsors passport is allowed

3) Which brings me to this question, would it be to my advantage to have him here with me when I make the application? I know I'd like him here for moral support, but considering it could take up to three months for a decision, does he really have to be here if all I need to do it turn up at the centre and hand in my application?

No he doesnt need to be there at all.All you do is to hand your application in and then sit tight and wait for an outcome

4) Apart from the sponsor letter, is there a sponsorship undertaking form that should be included? Confused

Not required

5) Should his flat be surveyed to show it is big enough for the two of us? (and it really is fairly big!)

Yes it needs to be done and you have to send it with your application

MisfitMeL

Post by MisfitMeL » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:53 am

Mucho thankies Batley! :D

You must get quite bored answering the same questions every time :lol:

*Arnie voice*

I'll be back! :P

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:16 pm

I am used to it by now. I wish people would do their research before posting,but I suppose everyones problems and questions are not the same.
:wink:

MisfitMeL

Post by MisfitMeL » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:07 am

Hi folks! :D

Quick question, I hope it is not too silly! - I'll be printing out the application from the online PDF, but I don't have access to a colour printer at the moment. Would a black and white printout suffice? :o

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:50 am

I don't see why not :wink:
I tell it like it is.

MisfitMeL

Post by MisfitMeL » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:07 pm

Thank you Elena! :P

Another question that's been on my mind. Bf and I have decided to marry, so I guess that makes us engaged, however, we only decided this over emails/chat and there isn't going to be a 'ceremony' or party since we are apart. There isn't even a ring. Would any of this hinder my application when it comes to proving that we are really genuine?

I wonder how long I can single handedly keep this thread going? :lol:

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:51 pm

MisfitMeL wrote:Thank you Elena! :P

Another question that's been on my mind. Bf and I have decided to marry, so I guess that makes us engaged, however, we only decided this over emails/chat and there isn't going to be a 'ceremony' or party since we are apart. There isn't even a ring. Would any of this hinder my application when it comes to proving that we are really genuine?

I wonder how long I can single handedly keep this thread going? :lol:
None of those things matter. I've never met a single couple that actually had an engagement party hehe. As long as you can show that your relationship is genuine and that you've met that's all that matters.

e.g. emails, chats, pictures, phone bills, flight itineraries etc...
I tell it like it is.

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:15 pm

Not forgetting that your BF/fiancee has to show that he has made an attempt to make some form of arrangements for when and where the wedding will takes place ( eg booking arragments for the civil marriage in a registry office/hindu temple etc), wedding cards/inviataion etc to best your best palies like me and Elena :D :lol:

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:25 pm

batleykhan wrote:
Not forgetting that your BF/fiancee has to show that he has made an attempt to make some form of arrangements for when and where the wedding will takes place ( eg booking arragments for the civil marriage in a registry office/hindu temple etc), wedding cards/inviataion etc to best your best palies like me and Elena :D :lol:
hehehehehehe :P
I tell it like it is.

MisfitMeL

Post by MisfitMeL » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:57 pm

hehehehe yes, you two will definitely receive invitations considering all the help you give me! :P

Thanks for setting my mind at ease Elena :D

Batley, we are planning to tentatively book our civil wedding at the registry and use that as additional evidence. But we weren't thinking of making invitations until I get there :(

Kitty

Post by Kitty » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:04 am

Remember you can't actually book the Register Office until you are in the UK: you must have been in the country for 7 days before you can gove notice of your intention to marry. You can book the ceremony 15 days after you have given notice:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentc ... /DG_175717

THis causes problems for a lot of people who aren't planning anything more lavish than a Register Office event, and don't provide any evidence of their plans for that reason. Even if you're not able to show an actualy booking, enclose evidence that you've researched it (e.g. print off the Directgov page etc.), and evidence of quotes you've obtained for other wedding things like invitations, even if you haven't firmly arranged those yet either.

SBT_Owner
Member of Standing

Post by SBT_Owner » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:48 am

MisfitMeL wrote:hehehehe yes, you two will definitely receive invitations considering all the help you give me! :P

Thanks for setting my mind at ease Elena :D

Batley, we are planning to tentatively book our civil wedding at the registry and use that as additional evidence. But we weren't thinking of making invitations until I get there :(
No mention of my invite !!!!!!! :o :o :o :o
Please respect the sites admin and mod team . They donate time to this site for free . Let us thank them !
Tottenham Hotspur have made it into the Champions League . Great Times :0)

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:46 pm

No mention of my invite !!!!!!! Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised
You have top contribute something. You cant get owt for nowt as they say here in Yorkshire :D

MisfitMeL

Post by MisfitMeL » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:51 pm

Oohh thanks for the tip Kitty! I'll make sure we put together some sort of a vague plan.

Gosh, there are so many things to collect :( My spreadsheet list just gets longer! :lol:

And RattleSnake, I'm afraid BatleyKhan is right, you'll have to provide a nugget of wisdom that will help me get my visa and only then will you find something special in the post for you! :wink:

:P

SBT_Owner
Member of Standing

Post by SBT_Owner » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:04 pm

MisfitMeL wrote:
And RattleSnake, I'm afraid BatleyKhan is right, you'll have to provide a nugget of wisdom that will help me get my visa and only then will you find something special in the post for you! :wink:

:P
Wisdom ?? From me ??????????? :o :lol: . I fear i will not be getting a invitation then :(

I must hope both batleykhan and ElenaW catch the flu and are unable to attend the wedding , not that i am bitter about this :wink: :D

Good luck with the wedding MisfitMeL 8)
Please respect the sites admin and mod team . They donate time to this site for free . Let us thank them !

MisfitMeL

Post by MisfitMeL » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:08 pm

RattleSnake wrote: Wisdom ?? From me ??????????? :o :lol: . I fear i will not be getting a invitation then :(

I must hope both batleykhan and ElenaW catch the flu and are unable to attend the wedding , not that i am bitter about this :wink: :D

hmmm if not wisdom, then some wisecracks maybe?? :lol:

Maybe I can set up a lottery for winning an invitation 8) Don't forget to send me your bank account details. I have three million squids waiting for you!
With love, from Nigeria :twisted:

:lol:

SBT_Owner
Member of Standing

Post by SBT_Owner » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:15 pm

MisfitMeL wrote:
RattleSnake wrote: Wisdom ?? From me ??????????? :o :lol: . I fear i will not be getting a invitation then :(

hmmm if not wisdom, then some wisecracks maybe?? :lol:

Maybe I can set up a lottery for winning an invitation 8) Don't forget to send me your bank account details. I have three million squids waiting for you!
With love, from Nigeria :twisted:

:lol:
What ?? What ?? I am now rich with £3million ? OH MY GOD !! This is like the best day of my life :D I am now sending you a private message that will contain my bank details , please get that money sent to me as soon as possible . I bet batleykhan and ElenaW are feeling rather upset now since i am the lucky lottery winner . Read and weap losers :lol:

:wink:

I am not the sort to make wisecracks nor use sarcasm , i am a nice and honest person :wink: :D :D

Love from kind and caring Paul haha :wink:

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:55 pm

Damn you Paul! :P winning the lottery, lucky sod.
I tell it like it is.

SBT_Owner
Member of Standing

Post by SBT_Owner » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:13 pm

ElenaW wrote:Damn you Paul! :P winning the lottery, lucky sod.
Gracias amaigo :D 8)

And hey , do not flood me with private messages asking for money . I am the winner and all my winnings will be kept by me .

Right , i best go google Russian mail order brides and see how many i can get for £3 million ... Yabba Dabba Doooooooooooooo :wink:

MisfitMeL

Post by MisfitMeL » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:32 pm

Hello!! Hope you've all had a good week! :D

Ok, question - Fiance is self-employed and is a one man company. We are planning to provide a copy of his company accounts for the past two years as part of 'proof' of his financial status.

I mentioned to him about getting the company accounts notarized. However, when he spoke to his solicitor about this, there is an issue.

The solicitor said he can't really notarize the accounts as fiance could have just printed anything out. He could verify that fiance's signature on the accounts is genuine but not that the actual accounts are genuine, if you get what I mean?! :?

Is there a work around this? Do we have to provide company accounts? For the past two years? If yes, how do we show the ECO that it is genuine?

Have a great weekend... i'm knackered!

P.S. RattleSnake - Did you get your russian bride?! :P