ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

My I-94 will expire soon, please advise

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

FresnoGirl
Newly Registered

My I-94 will expire soon, please advise

Post by FresnoGirl » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:46 am

Hello!

I'm a Mexican citizen, during 8 years I sustained a long distance relationship with a USC.

In august I entered the country on my B1/B2 Visa (wich will expire in year 2012), and I got married in October.

We haven't filled my documents yet (my husband is getting his taxes together and I haven't had my medical examination).

THe problem is, my I-94 will expire on Feb 14th.

I have a chance to go back to mexico later this month. Should I just go without mentioning anything on exit, and just getting a new I-94 on the way back?

I am started to get worried because my husband I will have a large religious wedding in Mexico in June. I worry about not being able to go out/ come back)

Please advise!

Thank you very much

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:11 pm

In august I entered the country on my B1/B2 Visa (wich will expire in year 2012), and I got married in October.
A visa merely gives you authority to travel to a US port of entry where an inspector has final decision as to admission into the US. Such is what the I-94 arrival/departure record does with a valid/admitted to date.
THe problem is, my I-94 will expire on Feb 14th.
Anytime in the US beyond the validity of the I-94 is classed as being out of status. If you are out of status for more than 180 days you will be banned upon departure from the US for 3 years. Overstays of more than 365 days face a 10 yr ban.

Normally under the Immigration and Naturalization Act (INA) you may not adjust status (AOS) to Lawful Permanent Residence or change/extend status if you are out of status on the day the relevant application is received by USCIS. However the INA paroles (forgives) out of status where AOS is made on the basis of marriage to a USC spouse. Depending on the place of filing which is determined by residence AOS can take anything up to 3 years (e.g. Texas and California centres) and will often require an interview. IMHO you are likely to get an interview since you got married shortly after entry into the US on visitor status.

During AOS you may request for a travel document called Advance Parole to travel in and out of the US. AP doesn't discount the 180/365 days bans so if they apply don't set foot out of US soil until you get your green card. You should also apply for an employment authorization document (EAD). Make sure you file the petitition (I-130), the AP, EAD concurrently/in the same packet.

The alternative is to go home and apply for an immigrant visa from Mexico aka consular processing but expect a delay of several months in which time you may not travel to the US. Advantage of this method is you enter the US as an immigrant from day 1 and start accumulating time towards US citizenship.

I would suggest you check out on a search engine such as google USCIS and Department of State (consulates in Mexico) to see the timeline differences.
We haven't filled my documents yet (my husband is getting his taxes together and I haven't had my medical examination).
IIRC you need 3 years of tax files - check the USCIS site and see if you can file with what you have. You can get a co-signer/sponser.
I have a chance to go back to mexico later this month. Should I just go without mentioning anything on exit, and just getting a new I-94 on the way back?
You are an intending immigrant and as such your re-entry will if successful be fradulent. The B1/B2 is a non immigrant visa. In any case as soon as the inspector establishes you are the spouse of a USC you will be denied entry. Said fraud can lead to expedited removal proceedings with a 5 year ban from the US - there is no judicial review so don't bother with the 'let me make my phone call' stuff.
I am started to get worried because my husband I will have a large religious wedding in Mexico in June. I worry about not being able to go out/ come back)
Postpone this until you get AP unless you decide to go the consular processing route.

FresnoGirl
Newly Registered

Post by FresnoGirl » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:40 am

Thank you so much Kayalami!

I really appreciate your help..

I have one question more:
During AOS you may request for a travel document called Advance Parole to travel in and out of the US. AP doesn't discount the 180/365 days bans so if they apply don't set foot out of US soil until you get your green card.
What are the 180/365 day bans ?

Thanks a lot!

FresnoGirl
Newly Registered

Oh, and another question!

Post by FresnoGirl » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:57 am

My drivers license will expire on Jan 15th. THat is why I would like to go Tijuana and have it renewed.

Do you think there would be any problem with me going there and returning (without requesting another I-94 as I am still within status?) Would that be considered fraudulent?

Thank you very much in advance.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:32 pm

With respect I believe my response is crystal clear as to both queries - why don't you read it again...at the sound of repeating myself here goes:
What are the 180/365 day bans ?
If you stay in the US beyond the validity of your I-94 for more than 180 days then depart the US you are banned from returning to the US for 3 years. If the stay is more than 365 days then you are banned for 10 years. Normally you may not make an application for adjustment of status (AOS) in the US if your I-94 has expired. However the INA (IIRC sec 245) allows you to adjust even when your I-94 has expired if the AOS is due to marriage to a USC. However there is no INA exemption from the bans if they apply to your case (only overstays as a minor are ignored).
My drivers license will expire on Jan 15th. THat is why I would like to go Tijuana and have it renewed.

Do you think there would be any problem with me going there and returning (without requesting another I-94 as I am still within status?) Would that be considered fraudulent?
Your initial admission then re-admission are on the basis of non-immigrant visa and status. Sec 214 INA states that every person seeking a visa as well as admission into the US is deemed to be an intending immigrant unless they proove otherwise to the satisfaction of a consular officer and port of entry inspector. Such is best demonstrated by way of strong socio-economic ties to another country which will compel you to return after your trip to the US.

You are returning to the US where your USC husband and arguably most important tie in your life is living...why will you depart the US if admitted for the reminder of your I-94? Also what is to stop you after re-entry from AOS = intending immigrant but you are on the wrong visa. IMHO the inspector will deny you entry without a second thought. I don't know your personal circumstances so I don't know how you can persuade the inspector otherwise that you will return to Mexico. If you had a high powered job in Mexico and other family ties e.g. kids it may wash but you appear not to have any given you have been in the US for several months.

Even if you succeed in re-entry which will be on the basis of non immigrant status the if you AOS its classed as fraud since you did not reveal your true intentions. The AOS petition will be rejected and you will be deported from the US. I suggest you forget Tijuana until you AOS and get AP or if you can't wait to renew your license (I fail to see the urgency) then stay in Mexico until you get your immigrant visa processed.

No offence meant but border control on the Mexican side of the US border (compared to Canadian side) is a different ball game. Trying to mess around with US immigration could end up in heart break.

Sorry that may not be what you wanted to hear.