ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Benefits /British Citizen/ILR

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

nnkhan99
Newly Registered

Benefits /British Citizen/ILR

Post by nnkhan99 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:17 pm

This is my first post and I have been reading a lot of posts regarding Benefits and ILR issues.

I have a similar situation to most of you. I am a British citizen. I got married to a Palestinian almost 2 years ago. He has been in the UK since June 2008 on Spouse Visa and "NO RECOURSE TO PUBLIC FUNDS"and is due to apply for ILR in a few months time. He has been working since he arrived here - part time initially but full time now. I was also working full time until recently. I went on maternity leave and I am still on maternity leave. My full pay runs out in March after which I will be on Statutory maternity Pay which is only just over 400 pounds a month. Going on SMP means a huge cut in our income, so much so that we will be unable to meet our rent and bills.

We have not claimed any benefits since we have been married except for Child Benefit since our baby was born and even that is in my name.

I only want to claim Child Tax credit and Housing Benefit (till August ONLY). I will stop Housing Benefit end of August and go back to work. My baby will be 9 months then. I plan to continue Child Tax Credit as it will help me pay for ChildCare.

From what I have understood reading previous posts is that

1. My husband and I can jointly claim Child Tax credit
2. As a British Citizen I am entitled to claim Housing benefit + child benefit. I need to tell Housing Office that my husband is NOT entitled to benefits.
3. If I do the above (1 & 2) - it should not have any effect on my husband's ILR application.

Am I correct in assuming the above? I desperately need an answer as I have to make quite a few very important decisions in the next week or so about going back to work ion March or not.

Thank you for your help.

kindley

Re: Benefits /British Citizen/ILR

Post by kindley » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:06 pm

nnkhan99 wrote:This is my first post and I have been reading a lot of posts regarding Benefits and ILR issues.

I have a similar situation to most of you. I am a British citizen. I got married to a Palestinian almost 2 years ago. He has been in the UK since June 2008 on Spouse Visa and "NO RECOURSE TO PUBLIC FUNDS"and is due to apply for ILR in a few months time. He has been working since he arrived here - part time initially but full time now. I was also working full time until recently. I went on maternity leave and I am still on maternity leave. My full pay runs out in March after which I will be on Statutory maternity Pay which is only just over 400 pounds a month. Going on SMP means a huge cut in our income, so much so that we will be unable to meet our rent and bills.

We have not claimed any benefits since we have been married except for Child Benefit since our baby was born and even that is in my name.

I only want to claim Child Tax credit and Housing Benefit (till August ONLY). I will stop Housing Benefit end of August and go back to work. My baby will be 9 months then. I plan to continue Child Tax Credit as it will help me pay for ChildCare.

From what I have understood reading previous posts is that

1. My husband and I can jointly claim Child Tax credit
2. As a British Citizen I am entitled to claim Housing benefit + child benefit. I need to tell Housing Office that my husband is NOT entitled to benefits.
3. If I do the above (1 & 2) - it should not have any effect on my husband's ILR application.

Am I correct in assuming the above? I desperately need an answer as I have to make quite a few very important decisions in the next week or so about going back to work ion March or not.

Thank you for your help.
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. There won't be any problem as long as you make sure Child Tax Credits is claimed in joint names- your and your partner. You could also claim Working Tax Credit as well if your hubby is working 16 hrs or more.

Housing Benefit must be only in your name.

Regards
Always Seek Further Opinion (ASFO)

nnkhan99
Newly Registered

Post by nnkhan99 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:46 pm

Thank you so much for the quick reply!