ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Now in UK What next

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

abiodua
Newly Registered

Now in UK What next

Post by abiodua » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:50 pm

Hi
Thanks VKS and Vinny for all assistance
i've arrived UK now with my wife and little daughter but i want to study on a master before i start work.
My wife is the main applicant and has a masters in medical microbiology but is in the process of getting herself registered with HPC but i have three questions

1. The school is ready to give me a letter so that i'll be exempted from council tax since i'm paying all the tuition fees at once; the questions will this be counted as public funds if i'm exempted from the council tax

2. Also i hope any benefit i get as a student will not be counted as public funds because i'm registering as a full time student

3. Lastly what are the things i need to do or register with like i've booked appointment with NI and NHS

Pls i need your urgent advice

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Post by aruni4470 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:39 pm

1. The school is ready to give me a letter so that i'll be exempted from council tax since i'm paying all the tuition fees at once; the questions will this be counted as public funds if i'm exempted from the council tax
No the council tax does not come under public funds. Also, when you are exempted from council tax as a student, your wife might still be charged but a lower price. (Not sure if this rule applies when two unrelated adults live or even in the case of a husband and wife). Can anybody throw some light on this please??

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAn ... /DG_071488

Working out who is ‘counted’ for Council Tax purposes
A full Council Tax bill is based on two adults living in a household - if there’s fewer than two, the household can get a discount.
For Council Tax purposes, certain types of people aren’t ‘counted’ towards the number of adults in a household - the bill is worked out as if they weren’t living there. This includes individuals who are:
considered a full-time student for Council Tax purposes (see the section above on ‘Working out if you’re a full-time student for Council Tax purposes’)
doing a course which leads to a first registration as a nurse or midwife
doing an Apprenticeship which leads to a qualification recognised by the Qualifications and Curriculum Development Agency - provided they don’t earn over a certain amount (currently £195 per week)
under 25 and in a recognised form of full-time training funded by the Learning and Skills Council

abiodua
Newly Registered

Post by abiodua » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:07 pm

Thanks for your reply

I came in with my wife and daughter like i earlier said but my wife and daughter will be returning to my country because she has not formally resigned her appointment and she going back because her HPC registration is not yet completed so she will be off and on until the HPC registration is completed.
The question is; when i get an accommodation do i need to include her now because she'll be on ground fully from April 2010 and if i include her now i'll still pay council tax while she is not on ground fully
please advice.

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Post by aruni4470 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:19 pm

abiodua wrote:Thanks for your reply

I came in with my wife and daughter like i earlier said but my wife and daughter will be returning to my country because she has not formally resigned her appointment and she going back because her HPC registration is not yet completed so she will be off and on until the HPC registration is completed.
The question is; when i get an accommodation do i need to include her now because she'll be on ground fully from April 2010 and if i include her now i'll still pay council tax while she is not on ground fully
please advice.
I am not sure. If she is leaving soon and wont be back till April 2010 then you may not include her. But, if she stays here a couple of weeks on and off, you might have to include her as well. Talk to your local council and they will give you the best advice. All the best in settling down.