ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

work permit in the netherlands?

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Ultraviol3tt
Newly Registered

work permit in the netherlands?

Post by Ultraviol3tt » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:48 pm

(I apologize in advance if the post is not in the correct section.)

Hi everyone :)
I have a friend who is an international student in the Netherlands. Recently, she got released from her job because her employer said that it is impossible to get a work permit at the moment. Is this true or he just didn't want to lose his time in applying for work permit and waiting and so on? Is anybody familiar with the current work-permit situation in the Netherlands? Thanks in advance.

republique
BANNED

Re: work permit in the netherlands?

Post by republique » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:41 pm

Ultraviol3tt wrote:(I apologize in advance if the post is not in the correct section.)

I have a friend who is an international student in the Netherlands. Recently, she got released from her job because her employer said that it is impossible to get a work permit at the moment. Is this true or he just didn't want to lose his time in applying for work permit and waiting and so on? Is anybody familiar with the current work-permit situation in the Netherlands? Thanks in advance.
So why did she get released. She was working under a student permit so what happened?

Ultraviol3tt
Newly Registered

Post by Ultraviol3tt » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:15 pm

republique wrote: So why did she get released. She was working under a student permit so what happened?
Well she started working while she was waiting for her work permit but then her boss told her that because of the financial crisis it is impossible to get a work permit.. that they just don't give work permits at the moment.. and therefore he had to let her go.

I was wondering if this is actually true or he did this because it is easier for him to hire someone from a country that doesn't require work permit.

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:36 pm

Ultraviol3tt wrote:
republique wrote: So why did she get released. She was working under a student permit so what happened?
Well she started working while she was waiting for her work permit but then her boss told her that because of the financial crisis it is impossible to get a work permit.. that they just don't give work permits at the moment.. and therefore he had to let her go.

I was wondering if this is actually true or he did this because it is easier for him to hire someone from a country that doesn't require work permit.
She can work as a student
so why does she need a work permit

Ultraviol3tt
Newly Registered

Post by Ultraviol3tt » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:26 pm

republique wrote:
Ultraviol3tt wrote:

Because she is from Bulgaria and people from Bulgaria, Romania or Non-EU countries have to get a work permit.

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:55 pm

Ultraviol3tt wrote:
republique wrote:
Ultraviol3tt wrote:

Because she is from Bulgaria and people from Bulgaria, Romania or Non-EU countries have to get a work permit.
then how did she work in the first place?
or are you saying she was working illegally?

Ultraviol3tt
Newly Registered

Post by Ultraviol3tt » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:07 pm

republique wrote:
Ultraviol3tt wrote:
republique wrote:
Ultraviol3tt wrote:

Yes she was.. but that has nothing to do with my question

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:20 pm

Ultraviol3tt wrote:
republique wrote:
Ultraviol3tt wrote:
republique wrote: She can work as a student
Well it is very relevant, not wonder the employer binned her! What did she expect, a Gold Clock?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:03 pm

OP if she was on a student visa, this gives her permission to work 20 hours per week. It's the same rules for everyone that has a student visa (unless there's something I don't know). So unless she worked over 20, she didn't do anything wrong and did not need a work permit.
I tell it like it is.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:11 pm

ElenaW wrote:OP if she was on a student visa, this gives her permission to work 20 hours per week. It's the same rules for everyone that has a student visa (unless there's something I don't know). So unless she worked over 20, she didn't do anything wrong and did not need a work permit.
Remember this is NL not UK, not sure if they have the 20 hr restriction....

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:12 pm

Wanderer wrote:
ElenaW wrote:OP if she was on a student visa, this gives her permission to work 20 hours per week. It's the same rules for everyone that has a student visa (unless there's something I don't know). So unless she worked over 20, she didn't do anything wrong and did not need a work permit.
Whoops :D I'm notorious for skimming through and not fully reading the questions. D'oh.
I tell it like it is.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:21 pm

ElenaW wrote:
Wanderer wrote:
Whoops :D I'm notorious for skimming through and not fully reading the questions. D'oh.
Typical Yank!

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:32 pm

Wanderer wrote:
ElenaW wrote:
Wanderer wrote:
Typical Yank!
Lol sod off Brit! :P
I tell it like it is.

Ultraviol3tt
Newly Registered

Post by Ultraviol3tt » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:44 pm

Wanderer wrote:
Ultraviol3tt wrote:
republique wrote:
Ultraviol3tt wrote:
Well it is very relevant, not wonder the employer binned her! What did she expect, a Gold Clock?
It is not relevant. I am just asking if they are giving work permits or they have restricted the number because of the financial crisis.

And BTW the employer is the one who applies for the work permit and he was well aware of the fact that she needs one and that she is working illegally. She didn't have a problem waiting a few weeks for a work permit. So please, I don't need your personal opinion about whether it was right for her to get released or not. I just need an answer to my question.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:09 pm

Ultraviol3tt wrote:
Wanderer wrote:
Ultraviol3tt wrote:
republique wrote: then how did she work in the first place?
It is not relevant. I am just asking if they are giving work permits or they have restricted the number because of the financial crisis.

And BTW the employer is the one who applies for the work permit and he was well aware of the fact that she needs one and that she is working illegally. She didn't have a problem waiting a few weeks for a work permit. So please, I don't need your personal opinion about whether it was right for her to get released or not. I just need an answer to my question.
Pay for a lawyer then you cheapskate...

Dr Logic
BANNED

Post by Dr Logic » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:52 am

republique wrote:
Ultraviol3tt wrote:

Many foreign students need a work permit in order to hold a part-time job in the Netherlands. Whether
you will need a permit depends on your nationality.
• Citizens of Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France,
Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta,
Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom:
You do not need a work permit. While you are not obliged to register with the Dutch Immigration
Service (IND) as an EU student, it is highly advisable to do so as it will make a number of things
easier, such as applying for a telephone subscription and finding a job. There is no restriction on the
number of hours you are allowed to work.
• Citizens of Bulgaria and Romania:
Transitional rules apply with respect to the labour market. You will still need a work permit. It is up to
your employer or the employment agency to apply for your work permit from UWV WERKbedrijf. You
cannot do this yourself. While you are not obliged to apply for verification against EU Community Law
(proof of lawful residence) from the IND, it is highly advisable to do so as it will make a number of
things easier, such as applying for a telephone subscription and finding a job. There is no restriction
on the number of hours you are allowed to work.
• Citizens of all other countries:
You will need a work permit. Dutch immigration law restricts the number of hours you may work. You
may either do seasonal work full-time (but only in June, July and August), or you may work part-time
throughout the year (but no more than ten hours a week); you may not do both. It is up to your
employer or the employment agency to apply for your work permit from UWV WERKbedrijf. You
cannot do this yourself. The application must be accompanied by a copy of your residence permit for
study purposes and by a statement from your institution confirming that you are enrolled as a student.
It will take about five weeks to process the application. Simplified rules are now in place for the work
permit application procedure, which means that UWV WERKbedrijf no longer performs all the checks
stipulated in the Foreign Nationals Employment Act (Wet arbeid vreemdelingen, Wav). Employers may
not always be aware of the simplified rules, and may be wary about applying for a work permit. There
is no need for this, though.
Real Eyes Realize Real Lies....

Dr Logic
BANNED

Post by Dr Logic » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:55 am

Ultraviol3tt wrote:(I apologize in advance if the post is not in the correct section.)

Work Permit (tewerkstellingsvergunning, TWV)
Dutch employers that want to employ foreigners in the Netherlands need in most cases work permits for these people. Only residents with an EU, EEA or Swiss nationality, except for Bulgarians and Romanians, can work without their employer having a work permit for them.

Your employer must apply for the work permit at the UWV WERKbedrijf in Zoetermeer. It will take about five weeks before a decision has been taken. You are not allowed to start working before a work permit has been granted, otherwise your employer can be fined.
Real Eyes Realize Real Lies....