ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Marriage in the UK

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Chedz
Newly Registered

Marriage in the UK

Post by Chedz » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:37 pm

As I understand the Feb'05 marriage for immigrants rules, after my fiancee has been resident at my address for 7 days we can then register our intention to marry at a Registrars office in my town (it is approved). I assume they need (amongst other things) to see her birth certificate. If so will this need to be a notorised translation or is the original sufficient?

ppron747
inactive

Re: Marriage in the UK

Post by ppron747 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:09 pm

Chedz wrote:As I understand the Feb'05 marriage for immigrants rules, after my fiancee has been resident at my address for 7 days we can then register our intention to marry at a Registrars office in my town (it is approved). I assume they need (amongst other things) to see her birth certificate. If so will this need to be a notorised translation or is the original sufficient?
According to the GRO website a passport will suffice.
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:20 pm

after my fiancée has been resident at my address for 7 days we can then register our intention to marry at a Registrars office in my town (it is approved)
I think I know what you mean but there is no rule that requires her to live at your address before the marriage! And in some cultures that would be totally forbidden (morally)!

So for the record instead of "after my fiancée has been resident at my address for 7 days" it is probably better to say "after my fiancée has been resident at the same address in the UK for 7 days". And she has to arrive in the UK before that period can start, obviously!

A further comment ... some Register Offices prefer appointments to be made to give the necessary Notice of Intention to Marry. Shortly after she arrives (or at least you know exactly when she will be arriving) you might like to give them a call and check that out and make the necessary appointment.

At the same time you can check out their requirements about documentation to bring along.

Your fiancée's standard of English? Can she easily understand the form that needs to be filled in?
John

Chedz
Newly Registered

Post by Chedz » Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:54 pm

Well I wouldn't say easily but lets just say we went through the Settlement Visa application and there were only a few questions I had to explain. She's a clever girl, after all she picked me 8)

Chedz
Newly Registered

Post by Chedz » Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:55 pm

Thanks again for the advice guys