ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NI Number Problem.. Very Urgent.. Applying in 10 Days

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

pankajswagh
Newly Registered

NI Number Problem.. Very Urgent.. Applying in 10 Days

Post by pankajswagh » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:20 am

Hi all,

I am applying for PSW from outside UK (from India).
I worked 20 Hrs/week as a student in UK. Left UK in May 2009. A friend of mine in UK told me that my employer is still using my NI number showing 20 hrs. :(

Can it become a reason for Home Office to Reject my PSW Application?

I guess its my employer's mistake and not mine.

Please someone guide me..
thanks..

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:20 am

When you stopped working for that employer, did you get given a form P45, showing your pay and tax to date?

In what sense is your employer still using your NI? Still preparing payslips in your name? How does your friend know about this?
John

Rahul_S
Newly Registered

Re: NI Number Problem.. Very Urgent.. Applying in 10 Days

Post by Rahul_S » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:57 pm

pankajswagh wrote:Hi all,

I am applying for PSW from outside UK (from India).
I worked 20 Hrs/week as a student in UK. Left UK in May 2009. A friend of mine in UK told me that my employer is still using my NI number showing 20 hrs. :(

Can it become a reason for Home Office to Reject my PSW Application?

Please someone guide me..
thanks..
If you got P45 then employer cant use your NI Number. If you didnt get P45,Speak to your employer.

pankajswagh
Newly Registered

Post by pankajswagh » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:23 am

John wrote:When you stopped working for that employer, did you get given a form P45, showing your pay and tax to date?

In what sense is your employer still using your NI? Still preparing payslips in your name? How does your friend know about this?

Hi John,
My friend works with the same company. I left UK assuming that employer won't use my NI number since I was not in UK.
I was going through the PSW visa form and found the NI number field in it. and I realized that my employer could still be using it (NI number ). So john, Do you think home office could reject my application on this basis. because I think its the employer who is misusing my NI number

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:37 am

If the employer is still using your NI number, even though you are no longer working there, I would not call that a mistake, I would call it fraud! Tax fraud .... possibly immigration fraud as well.

Do appreciate that HMRC don't have detailed records until after the PAYE return is submitted no later than 19th May, following the 5th April end of tax year. So they do not yet have records about what has happened since last 6th April. And even for the year to 05.04.09, they don't know the details about what was paid and when.

So pankajswagh. I would be very surprised if your visa application was rejected simply because someone might be misusing your NI number.

Once you have your visa, suggest you take this up with your former employer.
John

pankajswagh
Newly Registered

Post by pankajswagh » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:37 am

Hi John,
Thanks for the quick reply..
Now I think there won't be much problem in my VISA , but say HMRC had detailed information. Do you think it could increase my rejection chances??

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:58 am

HMRC have not got detailed records. They rely on the PAYE end-of-year return from the employer, and that just has total figures for the tax year.
John

Sidney Reilly

Post by Sidney Reilly » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:14 am

It's very strange, what type of work were you doing whilst here as a student?

pankajswagh
Newly Registered

Post by pankajswagh » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:57 am

I was working as a part time cashier...
just spoke to my friends in UK and now they are saying they are not sure if he (my employer) is still using NI number..
so now i'll leave it up to Home office and my luck.. cause its a complicated situation.. isn't it?

pankajswagh
Newly Registered

Post by pankajswagh » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:05 pm

Hi John,
I have one more question..
I completed my MSc Computer Science in Nov 2009. I got the PSW letter from university last week and I should get my degree by 10-12th Feb.
Should I proceed for PSW visa without my degree or should I wait until I get my degree from uni..

Thanks..

Sidney Reilly

Post by Sidney Reilly » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:07 pm

As John said, your employer could be using your NI to commit tax fraud or immigration fraud by hiring an illegal worker. In order to be on the safe side, I would suggest you to get hold of a P45 from your employer asap.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:08 pm

Given that 12th February is only 10 days away, it makes sense to wait.
John

pankajswagh
Newly Registered

Post by pankajswagh » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:13 pm

Sidney Reilly wrote:As John said, your employer could be using your NI to commit tax fraud or immigration fraud by hiring an illegal worker. In order to be on the safe side, I would suggest you to get hold of a P45 from your employer asap.
ok.. thnks.. I'll try to contact him regarding P45..

ent7907
Newly Registered

Post by ent7907 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:40 pm

I agree with the moderator. when you terminated employment with the you should have asked for/been given a tax form stating your income to that point. If you have this than you are not in trouble but the company is. If you were being paid an hourly rate it wil be easy to show that you either have been earning no money/residual holiday pay. If the company have been using you NI for someone else you must make it very clear to them that you cannot have been employed at that place for whtever reason and that your name is being used in fraud.

pankajswagh
Newly Registered

Post by pankajswagh » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:14 am

thnks.. I will talk my employer about the issue..