ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Name on new passport

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

kp1

Name on new passport

Post by kp1 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:00 pm

for anyone with a similar experience....

The name on my non-british passport appears as

AAAA(name) BBBB(fathers name) CCCC(grandfathers name) DDDD (surname)

This is the way it appears on the naturalisation certificate as well.

However i have never used it in that format and have always used

AAAA BBBB DDDD

Is there anyway i can do this while appplying for my first british passport, or do they have to/will use the name as it appears on the certificate.

thanks

kp
Last edited by kp1 on Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:34 pm

However i have never used it in that format
But your passport is in that name, so in a sense you certainly have used that format.

I think you will need to complete a Change of Name Deed, formally changing your name from AAAA BBBB CCCC DDDD to AAAA BBBB CCCC.

That way the new passport should be in that name ...... in the same way as if your current surname was say Smith and you signed a Deed changing it to Jones, your new passport would say Jones!
John

kp1

Post by kp1 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:45 pm

i suspected and was convinced that i would have to complete a change of name deed, but when i asked the same question to the ukpa helpline, i was told to omit the middle name i did not wish to have ,CCCC in this case and explain in the additional info section.

i dont know if he was quite sure of the information he was giving me.. try calling them again for a second opinion?

mhunjn

Post by mhunjn » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:53 pm

But you are not actually changing your name?...
what does it say on your birth certificate and/or UK driving license?... As if these have the name you want, can't you explain to the UKPA that it's the same?

kp1

Post by kp1 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:00 pm

birth certificate has AAAA BBBB CCCC DDDD and thats why my non-british passport has it as well.

my driving license, bank cards, etc etc has AAAA BBBB DDDD

as i said before i have never called my self AAAA BBBB CCCC DDDD. it just happens to be on my passport.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:51 pm

Apologies, I misread what you wrote in the opening message.

I agree, no change of name deed needed .. just follow what the UKPA have said.
John

kp1

Post by kp1 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:22 am

Thanks for the replies. i spoke to the UKPA again, they confirmed that i need not fill a change of name deed. i can exclude CCCC by just putting in a covering note to explain. etc. She said that excluding CCCC is not considered as change of name. Change of name would be e.g. if i wanted to change CCCC to EEEE.

Thanks again.