ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Brit + Aussie + Living in Mexico = Confusion!

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rrrjjjmmm
Newly Registered

Brit + Aussie + Living in Mexico = Confusion!

Post by rrrjjjmmm » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:48 pm

Hello,

I'm getting very confused about the Spouse visa process, and would appreciate some input if anyone has experience of applying for a UK spouse visa from another country. I'll break it down and make it as simple and brief as possible:

- I'm Australian, travelled to the UK on a Working Holiday Visa. Fell in love with a Brit. We decided not to get married for the purposes of a visa, and instead, chose to move to Mexico in April 2009 to teach English.
- In Sept 2009, he proposed, I said yes. We booked a wedding for 15 July 2010 in New York City, and we have a honeymoon in Australia for three weeks. At the conclusion of the honeymoon, we'll return to Mexico to begin the spouse visa process for me.

Confusion:

- It states that we need to have a tenancy agreement with both parties allowed to stay there. We both live in Mexico. Does this mean he has to return to the UK before we lodge an application and obtain a lease? And how do I get my name on a lease in the UK, if I don't have a job - nor any way of obtaining a job as I have no visa? Is there a way around this?

- What is amount when talking about the sufficient funds to support me? We have a very nice middle class lifestyle here in Mexico, but pesos don't go a long way in the UK. Does he have to go back, get a job, get a lease, somehow get me on the lease, and then we apply through the Mexican consulate?

We both hate the idea of being separated, I don't understand how they justify this, it's almost like a test!

It's incredibly frustrating and overwhelming. We tried to take the mature route and wanted to get married on our terms, not a visa term. But it appears that the system is more targeted towards those who have gotten married whilst already settled in the UK.

I hope someone can help me.

Thanks in advance.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:03 am

You will have to pass a finance and accom. test, so you will need to show the ECO's you can live in UK without public fund and u have somewhere suitable to live.

Unless u have substantial savings then the only way is for ur husband to establish himself in UK first and you come later when the tests can be passed.

The rules are designed to stop people arriving here penniless and homeless and forcing the UK System to house and feed them. If anyones at fault its the abusers that forced this issue.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

rrrjjjmmm
Newly Registered

Post by rrrjjjmmm » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:14 am

Grrrr. Frustrating. Thank you for the information.

One further question - if he were to go ahead to the UK, and I were to wait here in Mexico for everything to get organised, would the application be lodged here in Mexico (where the applicant is) or in the UK (where the sponsor is)?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:19 am

rrrjjjmmm wrote:Grrrr. Frustrating. Thank you for the information.

One further question - if he were to go ahead to the UK, and I were to wait here in Mexico for everything to get organised, would the application be lodged here in Mexico (where the applicant is) or in the UK (where the sponsor is)?
I'm pretty sure it has to be either your home country or where you have bona-fide residency, ie not a visitor. Applicant anyway.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

baswitzer
Newly Registered

Post by baswitzer » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:43 am

Does your Partner not have family here? If they have suitable accomodation it might be possible for them to provide you both with a letter inviting you stay at their place until such time as you can secure your own accomodation.

As for savings, I do not know if there is specific guidance, but I believe that you have to demonstrate at least £3000+ over a three month period. As you are an Australian, presumably you have super back home. It is a good idea to show this as showing some other assets too.