ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation Application and Reckonable Residence in IRL

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ITGuru
India

Naturalisation Application and Reckonable Residence in IRL

Post by ITGuru » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:36 pm

I completed 5 years staying in Ireland (Arrived on 19th Jan 2005), all of which as dependant visa or on workpermits. But as part of my work/holidays I was out of this country for a period of total 504 days (almost 17 months) in this 5 years - not continuously but at different periods.

I contacted Immigrant Council and they told me it is Ok as long as you are 1 year continuous stay in Ireland just before applying + Total 5 years in Ireland. But not sure as I saw the following link at INIS.ie (http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/In ... eaflet_No3). It says that "If you are not a citizen of an EU state or of Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein, any period where you were required by law to have permission to remain in the State, but did not, will not be reckoned".

1. Could I apply for Naturalisation now or do I have to wait till I have 60 months total residence in Ireland, after taking out any days I was out of Ireland?

2. Is it better to apply for Naturalisation via a Solicitor?

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:45 pm

your reckonable residence period will be counted by your permission stamps in your passport. if you were on holidays while you had your permission is ireland valid, it's ok and counted. however,if you were late to renew your permission by a week/month etc that period will not be counted.

ITGuru
India

Post by ITGuru » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:17 pm

Thanks for the reply.
Is there any advantage to apply via a solicitor as some people have suggested me?

HOTSPURS

Post by HOTSPURS » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:58 am

ITGuru wrote:Thanks for the reply.
Is there any advantage to apply via a solicitor as some people have suggested me?
Not that i know of. Apply for it yourself. Do not wait for 17 more months as the queue has already gotten worse. if they accept your application, you'll get a reference number within a week - if there are problems, they'll let you know & ask you to reapply.

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:34 pm

having a solicitor working for you does not increase your chances of getting naturalisation.