ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK on Tier1 General - Looking for Information - Please Help!

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ukimmigant27
Newly Registered

Post by ukimmigant27 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:46 pm

February 8, 2010

Hello All,

I got my UK Tier1 General Visa stamping in September’ 2009. I’m currently residing in USA on H1b visa. My H1b visa transfer is in pending state for a while now. I’m planning to move to UK on Tier1 General Visa if my H1b transfer gets denied. I have few questions with regards to moving to UK on Tier1 General Visa.

Questions:

1. Like I said, I got my Tier1 General stamping in September’ 2009. What is my next step in process of moving to UK? Is there any other formality I need to complete before moving to UK?
2. What are the documents I need to show at port of entry in UK?
3. My spouse lives with me in USA. I did not apply the dependant visa on Tier 1 General when I applied. What is the procedure and supporting documents (Checklist) required to apply for a dependant visa and how long it usually is taking currently to get approval if applied from USA??
4. How should I look for accommodation immediately after moving to UK? Are there any extended stay kinds of hotels where I can get a hotel room on a monthly rate? Please advise any website where I can find places to stay at a reasonable rate.
5. What is the average cost of living in a month in UK?
6. How is the job marketing done in UK? Would I be applying directly to jobs or is it going to be through any consultancy?
7. How is job market for Database (Oracle, SQL Server) professionals?
8. Legally, how long one can stay in UK on Tier 1 General visa with no work?
9. I have US Driver’s License. Is it valid in UK?
10. What is the procedure to rent a car and how much is going to be the daily rate?

Your response is greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Sincerely,
UKImmigrant27

queryseeker
Newly Registered

Post by queryseeker » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:18 pm

Hi,

Did you apply for Tier1 (General) from US? If so, I would like to get few of my questions clarified.

Thanks

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Re: UK on Tier1 General - Looking for Information - Please H

Post by aruni4470 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:41 pm

ukimmigant27 wrote:February 8, 2010

Hello All,

I got my UK Tier1 General Visa stamping in September’ 2009. I’m currently residing in USA on H1b visa. My H1b visa transfer is in pending state for a while now. I’m planning to move to UK on Tier1 General Visa if my H1b transfer gets denied. I have few questions with regards to moving to UK on Tier1 General Visa.

Questions:

1. Like I said, I got my Tier1 General stamping in September’ 2009. What is my next step in process of moving to UK? Is there any other formality I need to complete before moving to UK? Nothing
2. What are the documents I need to show at port of entry in UK? Put all the documents you used to get in your Tier 1 in your cabin luggage. They might get handy
3. My spouse lives with me in USA. I did not apply the dependant visa on Tier 1 General when I applied. What is the procedure and supporting documents (Checklist) required to apply for a dependant visa and how long it usually is taking currently to get approval if applied from USA?? There are a lot of threads in this forum discussing about dependant visa and the required documents. A little search would help. Meanwhile you can go through http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... policy.pdf
4. How should I look for accommodation immediately after moving to UK? Are there any extended stay kinds of hotels where I can get a hotel room on a monthly rate? Please advise any website where I can find places to stay at a reasonable rate. Have a look @ http://www.spareroom.co.uk/
5. What is the average cost of living in a month in UK? around 800-1000 (but, it really depends on the place you choose to live and your life style)
6. How is the job marketing done in UK? Would I be applying directly to jobs or is it going to be through any consultancy? Upto you
7. How is job market for Database (Oracle, SQL Server) professionals? Dont know
8. Legally, how long one can stay in UK on Tier 1 General visa with no work? Till the end of your Tier 1 Visa, but, if you dont work it will be impossible to gain points to get your visa extended
9. I have US Driver’s License. Is it valid in UK? I think you can drive for 12 months and by that time you have to get a UK license.
10. What is the procedure to rent a car and how much is going to be the daily rate? Depends on the size of the car. Small car is around 20 a day. you get deals sometimes and it would be cheaper if you rent for long like monthly rental. But, public transport is very good in UK.

Your response is greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Sincerely,
UKImmigrant27

ukimmigant27
Newly Registered

Post by ukimmigant27 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:11 pm

Thanks aruni4470!