ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 1 visa holder,marrying a british citizen-Advise please!

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

raj543
Newly Registered

Tier 1 visa holder,marrying a british citizen-Advise please!

Post by raj543 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:05 pm

I recently got my Tier 1 (applied in Delhi) and my fiancee is a British Citizen. I will be moving to the UK in April/May and we are planning to get married there in August. To marry a UK citizen, I understand that I need to apply for Certificate of Approval. Could anyone please help me find answers to the below questions regarding COA?

* Is there any minimum time period that I should have been living in the UK (on Tier 1) before applying for COA? Is it OK if I apply for COA right after moving to the UK?
* How long does it take to get the COA, I understand that the timeline mentioned in the website as 4 weeks to 90 days, but would appreciate if anyone could advise how early should I apply for COA (in order to get married on August 14th)!
Any further information or sharing your experience would be great!

Thanks!

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:13 pm

I believe you cannot apply for COA from India on a Tier 1 (General) entry clearance.
Applying from overseas wrote: If you are planning to come to the United Kingdom to get married or register a civil partnership with someone who is already settled or settling here, and you want to stay in the country afterwards, you will need entry clearance (permission to enter) as a fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner. Both you and your partner must be aged 21 or over.
In light of this, it seems the only option available to you is to apply for COA from within the UK. Read Had enough of waiting for COA to get an idea on in-country COA waiting times involved.

Personal opinion - Register civil marriage in India and apply for spouse visa. Come to UK as spouse, and perform religious ceremony and have celeberations in August as planned. (And if you both want to settle in UK) Apply for your ILR after completing 2 years in UK and citizenship thereafter.
Easy, convenient and fast! :D

regards

yasa
Diamond Member

Re: Tier 1 visa holder,marrying a british citizen-Advise ple

Post by yasa » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:29 pm

raj543 wrote:I recently got my Tier 1 (applied in Delhi) and my fiancee is a British Citizen. I will be moving to the UK in April/May and we are planning to get married there in August. To marry a UK citizen, I understand that I need to apply for Certificate of Approval. Could anyone please help me find answers to the below questions regarding COA?

* Is there any minimum time period that I should have been living in the UK (on Tier 1) before applying for COA? Is it OK if I apply for COA right after moving to the UK?

The original scheme required an applicant to have current leave to enter or remain in the UK for more than six months therefore you can apply after coming in UK.

* How long does it take to get the COA, I understand that the timeline mentioned in the website as 4 weeks to 90 days, but would appreciate if anyone could advise how early should I apply for COA (in order to get married on August 14th)!

It normally takes 03 to 04 weeks.

Thanks!
=======================
Every cloud has silver lining
=======================