ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

National Insurance Number for 2010 Students?

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

oilly

Post by oilly » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:17 pm

John wrote:
students who work more than 20 hours/week or without NI
Just to make it clear, it is not the case that, by itself, not having an NI number makes the person ineligible to work. And also the reverse, just because someone has an NI number does not give them the automatic right to work.

So if someone, with the right to work, newly arrives in the UK, they can work, even before they get issued with a NI number.

that's not true, in the student visa it says, work or any change must be authorized.
Even if you have right to work, you need to authorize first, not just walking in and work.

The case that I talked about is those students do not care to have NI at all. they have been working in that restaurant for more than one university term but still not apply for NI because they want to work more than 20/week

hope this clear enough for you John.

I talk from my experience working in the chinese retaurant, when HO come they told us that even if we are student, we can't work without NI and if we change the work place, we have to report as well.

One indian guy who worked with me is a genuine student but he did not have knowledge about NI. HO told him to get one immediately before they visit again next time, otherwise he would be punished and the restaurant owner would be fined

addictionally,

the HO told us that when we got the first job, we should call job center to apply for NI, they will issue the temporary NI first before they send us the real one, so we can use that temporary NI. this process take only one day, so there is no excuse not having NI.

well let's say it's not even 1 day, it's even less than 15 minutes to get temporary NI
Last edited by oilly on Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Blackwater1

Post by Blackwater1 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:22 pm

I have seen many students who never apply for NI.. and work fulltime all the time..the logic being that they will not be traced by HO...stupid but works/worked for thousands in past for visa extension as HMRC and HO records are not integrated yet.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:20 pm

that's not true, in the student visa it says, work or any change must be authorized.
Even if you have right to work, you need to authorize first, not just walking in and work.
The misunderstanding is yours! What I posted was totally true.

Are you under the impression that getting a NI number gives you the right to work? NI number issued = ability to work? NI number not issued = no ability to work? If that is what you are saying then your understanding is totally wrong.

It has never been the case that merely having a NI does the ability to work, and the opposite, not having a NI number does not prevent work, but of course some other document, such as a Tier 4 visa, must be held.

To clarify, it is possible to start work, if authorised to do so, and then apply for the NI number. You have not got to wait for the NI number to be issued in order to start work.
John

oilly

Post by oilly » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:43 pm

John wrote:
To clarify, it is possible to start work, if authorised to do so, and then apply for the NI number. You have not got to wait for the NI number to be issued in order to start work.
Please read what I have said again
I said if you have job, you have to apply for NI.
I did not say that you have to have NI before having job.
but once you have job, you need NI
and the temporary NI will be issue immediately after you just call them.

You may say that because you may have never seen student who get deported from working without having NI, but I have, so I can say that I am right.

but it is your right to think that yours is true but mine is not. Being moderator doesn't you will be always right and being a random member doesn't mean you will be always wrong.

if you VISA says " work and any change must be authorized" you definitely NEED NI number, unless your VISA says nothing about this

That mean once you get job, you need to apply for NI.

if you read it carefully you will understand what I have said is that many students just work without any attempt to obtain NI at all.

practically people just ignore it. They did not get caught does not mean they can do it.

As well as if you steal someone's wallet but not being caught doesn't mean you have right to do it.

Anyway I'm not coming to discuss in this tread anymore since I'm already hold PSW and I think I done my best to help people here to do the legal thing.

I leave this business to the readers to decide who will they believe. Nothing is my business now.

Even if somebody here get caught because of working without authorization, still not my business since I am 100% legal already.

Best regard

Pakhtoon
- thin ice -

Post by Pakhtoon » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:01 pm

oilly wrote:
John wrote:

You may say that because you may have never seen student who get deported from working without having NI, but I have, so I can say that I am right.

but it is your right to think that yours is true but mine is not. Being moderator doesn't you will be always right and being a random member doesn't mean you will be always wrong.

if you VISA says " work and any change must be authorized" you definitely NEED NI number, unless your VISA says nothing about this

if you read it carefully you will understand what I have said is that many students just work without any attempt to obtain NI at all.

practically people just ignore it. They did not get caught does not mean they can do it.

As well as if you steal someone's wallet but not being caught doesn't mean you have right to do it.

Anyway I'm not coming to discuss in this tread anymore since I'm already hold PSW and I think I done my best to help people here to do the legal thing.

I leave this business to the readers to decide who will they believe. Nothing is my business now.

Even if somebody here get caught because of working without authorization, still not my business since I am 100% legal already.

Best regard
Why are you taking it so serious ? NI or no NI, students are not supposed to work full time. Simple :)
“Terrorism is the war of the poor; war is the terrorism of the rich.â€

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:59 pm

inwarsaw wrote:NI or no NI, students are not supposed to work full time. Simple
During term-time, correct. But outside term-time, there is no restriction on hours worked.
oilly wrote:that's not true, in the student visa it says, work or any change must be authorized.
You are clearly not beginning to understand that term, as on student visas.
John

oilly

Post by oilly » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:27 am

inwarsaw wrote:
oilly wrote:
John wrote:

Best regard
Why are you taking it so serious ? NI or no NI, students are not supposed to work full time. Simple :)
I'm seriouse because I do not want any genine student get deported from being ignorance.
but if some one do not trust me, then it's out of my business anymore.
good luck

focusatme
Newly Registered

Post by focusatme » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:13 pm

u aint got no information:
'Work and other chnages must be authorised' Dont mean that u need permission to work for 20hrs, it mean your visa status is changeable into other category like: Satellment visa,a work permit , hsmp etc etc and ofcourse u need an authorization for that!

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:49 pm

focusatme, you and I know that, and lots of other people know that as well, but it seems clear that oilly does not, and is therefore posting information liable to mislead.
John