ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

FLR(M) = UK Spouse Visa?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rnc312
United States of America

FLR(M) = UK Spouse Visa?

Post by rnc312 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:56 am

I can't seem to find the "UK Spouse Visa" application on the Home Office web site. Did the FLR(M) replace it?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:30 am

The form FLR(M) is used for a number of different reasons, as will be clear from the form.

Do appreciate that FLR stands for .... further leave to remain .... so someone already in the UK now wants to apply for further leave. For example, if someone is in the UK thanks to a fiancé(e) visa issued abroad, now they have got married in the UK, the form FLR(M) would be used to apply in the UK for their spouse visa
John

rnc312
United States of America

Post by rnc312 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:59 pm

Right, but is there such a thing as a "UK Spouse Visa" anymore? I remember hearing about it a couple of years ago, but I can't find any reference to it on the Home Office web site.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:25 pm

Certainly husband and wife are mentioned on this UKBA webpage.
John

rnc312
United States of America

Post by rnc312 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:51 pm

Okay, thanks. I'm exploring my potential options as an American married to an Irish citizen who is considering a move to the UK.

How would this work exactly? Should I use my U.S. passport to buy me six months in N.I. to join my wife, then try to secure approval for FLM before my time is up? 27 months sounds like a generous extention for a non-EEA national.

rnc312
United States of America

Post by rnc312 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:52 pm

P.S. - So is there no such thing as a "UK Spousal Visa" per se?

DesignChick
BANNED

Post by DesignChick » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:04 pm

Yes there is a spouse visa, the link provided in Johns post above takes you to the relevant pages on the UKBA site.

Here is a link to one of those pages http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply ... espartners

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:05 pm

rnc312, given your wife is Irish, apply for an EEA Family Permit, applying in the US.. That is valid for 6 months. In that 6-month period, and as soon as it is clear that your wife is exercising EU Treaty Rights in the UK, apply for a Residence Card, using form EEA2.

Exercising Treaty Rights? What is your wife doing, or going to be doing. in the UK? If she employed? Self-employed? A student? Or what?

No spouse visa? Both husbands and wives are spouses.
John

rnc312
United States of America

Post by rnc312 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:30 pm

DesignChick - thanks

"No spouse visa? Both husbands and wives are spouses."

(To John:) Obviously. Sorry I wasn't clear in what I was asking. What I was trying to say is I had been looking for a specific online application with the title "UK Spouse Visa," but I couldn't locate it. Not that it really matters what it is called!

My wife will definitely be seeking employment in the UK. She's a family law attorney here in the States. Not sure about the legal reciprocity agreement between the U.S. and the U.K., but I guess we'll have do some research into that.

What is the anticipated waiting time for approval if applying by EEA2? Thank you for your assistance.

rnc312
United States of America

Post by rnc312 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:18 pm

"The application for a Residence Card in the UK is easy. It is usually handled using Form EEA2 [...] and the application is sent by post. Unfortunately, the processing time seems to be very close to the legal maximum of 6 month and sometimes exceeds this limit ..."

Is the last sentence an accurate statement?