ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

VAF9 form - unmarried partner or single?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

peacarrot
Newly Registered

VAF9 form - unmarried partner or single?

Post by peacarrot » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:41 am

Hi All - I'm new here and hoping someone can advise me on this.

My boyfriend of 13 months (we have lived together for 11 months) and I would like to work in the UK. He qualifies for the UK ancestry visa (I miss out by one generation!) but I'm very likely to qualify for the Tier 1 Highly skilled worker visa. He would apply under the UK Ancestry category, and I would apply under Tier 1 (General).

My question is - on the VAF9 application form, you are asked in section 2.5 to give marital status. The only two options that apply to me are "single" or "unmarried partner".

As we live together, I think this makes us "unmarried partners"- or maybe not as we haven't been together 2 years? Not a problem anyway, as we are not trying for this status to qualify the other for entry.

BUT when I get to the very end of the VAF9 form, in the "Personal Details" section, it says:
"Unless single, please provide evidence of your marital status e.g. marriage or civil partnership certificate".

What should I do here? Is "Single" the option I should have chosen at 2.5? If I don't submit something to prove the "unmarried partner" relationship could they turn the application down on a technicality?

I would have thought that our relationship as unmarried partners is irrelevant anyway as we are each doing separate applications under different visa categories and have not been together for 2 years. Therefore why would we need to "prove" a relationship since it isn't required for either of us to get entry to the UK?

Anyway, I hope I posted this in the right place and that someone might be able to help.

Many thanks!