ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Transfer of Indefinite Leave to Remain

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

bblb
Newly Registered

Transfer of Indefinite Leave to Remain

Post by bblb » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:15 am

I was hoping someone could clarify the situation regarding the transfer of indefinite leave to remain stamp.

My current Indian Passport has expired and I am in the process of urgently renewing my passport. Upon receipt of my passport I have an urgent need to travel to India and I do not have the time to apply for my Indefinite Leave to Remain stamp to be transferred from my old passport to my new passport.

I have been living in the UK for over 30 years and have my previous passport with the Indefinite Leave to Remain stamp endorsed in it.

Is it possible for me to travel to India without the Indefinite Leave to Remain stamp in my new passport and returning in about three weeks? On my return to the UK, will the immigration officer accept the Indefinite Leave to Remain stamp in my previous passport and allow me entry?

I will apply for my Indefinite Leave to Remain stamp to be endorsed in my new passport on my return from India.

I would be very grateful if someone could clarify the situation for me.

ppron747
inactive

Re: Transfer of Indefinite Leave to Remain

Post by ppron747 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:26 am

bblb wrote:.....I have been living in the UK for over 30 years and have my previous passport with the Indefinite Leave to Remain stamp endorsed in it.

Is it possible for me to travel to India without the Indefinite Leave to Remain stamp in my new passport and returning in about three weeks? On my return to the UK, will the immigration officer accept the Indefinite Leave to Remain stamp in my previous passport and allow me entry?.....
Unfortunately the IND (Home Office) website is even slower than usual at the moment, so I can't provide a reference, but I am sure that this is absolutely fine.
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

bblb
Newly Registered

Post by bblb » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:53 am

From the information I've been able to gather from various sites is that it 'should' be okay. What worries me is that it is not definitive. Im looking for some sort of 'official' confirmation that it will be okay.

And even if I have the time and manage to get an appointment at my local Public Enquiry Office (Birmingham) I don't think I want to pay £500, I would rather apply by post on my return and pay only £160.
Last edited by bblb on Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mhunjn

Post by mhunjn » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:59 am

Shouldn't be a problem as long as you carry your old passport with you. My wife went through the same situation, and we had no problems with it.

bash_h

Post by bash_h » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:02 pm

bblb, my dad has been doing this numerous times, stapling his old and new passport together and he never has problems.

ppron747
inactive

Re: Transfer of Indefinite Leave to Remain

Post by ppron747 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:33 pm

ppron747 wrote:
bblb wrote:.....I have been living in the UK for over 30 years and have my previous passport with the Indefinite Leave to Remain stamp endorsed in it.

Is it possible for me to travel to India without the Indefinite Leave to Remain stamp in my new passport and returning in about three weeks? On my return to the UK, will the immigration officer accept the Indefinite Leave to Remain stamp in my previous passport and allow me entry?.....
Unfortunately the IND (Home Office) website is even slower than usual at the moment, so I can't provide a reference, but I am sure that this is absolutely fine.
FOUND IT !

At the very bottom of the page at http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind/en ... _form.html, the following appears:
Please be aware that if you submit a passport that has expired, or is close to expiry, you will need to pay the current fee should you wish to have any leave granted transferred into a new passport at a later date.

However you should be aware that you are able to travel with a new, valid passport without having your leave transferred provided that you carry with it either your old passport with your endorsement of leave, or the letter on which your leave was granted.

It is up to individuals to ensure their travel documents are kept up to date and are valid for travel. The decision to admit a person at port is made by the Immigration Officer based on the information and evidence presented to them.
I hope it sets your mind at rest....
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

bblb
Newly Registered

Post by bblb » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:01 pm

Thank you very much for all your help!