ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

process for bringing my American Wife to live and work here

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

nan0man
Newly Registered

process for bringing my American Wife to live and work here

Post by nan0man » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:58 pm

We lived together for 10yrs in the USA, got married last year and decided to move to the UK.
I came here ahead of her to set up home etc and now were ready to start the process to get her here.

QUESTION:

I see the VISA for a spouse to come to the UK and have the instant ability to work is an online application...is that it? you just fill it out online and pay the fee and give them any supporting doc's they may ask for , wait 5 or so weeks and its done?

i see the fee for this VISA is $995 or 585 pounds. with currency exchange rates changing does that effect the price at all or are those the set prices or fees irregardless of exchange rates.

LASTLY, isn't there a cheaper way to bring my wife to the UK to work? $995 is a hell of alot of money, I AM A UK citizen, why so expensive?

Thanks in advance for your help...[/list]

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:10 pm

$995 is a hell of alot of money
Yep ... then remember in 2 years you'll need to apply for ILR (or probationary citizenship or whatever it is then) - which is currently a further £800 (or £1000 with in person) ... and then if she wants it - citizenship - more money. And, of course, the life in the uk test + study materials.

Having said that - you might be able to get ILR immediately given you've been together 10 years - not sure on that.

But it's a nice money maker huh?

Anyway - back to the point:
you just fill it out online and pay the fee and give them any supporting doc's they may ask for , wait 5 or so weeks and its done?
No - she is still going to have to attend a particular consulate, supply biometrics, possibly attend an interview and then wait for as long as they deem fit - which might be 5 weeks, or might be much longer.

You should also prepare as much supporting documentation as possible, not just what is asked for on the form - go above and beyond in case they want more.

M.

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:49 pm

Your wife can use an expeditor ($100 in addition to the $995) and get the visa deciscion in 24-48 hours.

Only in extremely rare cases are there interviews with us citizens.

If she has passed the life in the uk test, she can apply for ILE which means less money that you'd have to spend overall and you get to skip the spousal visa step(ILE is the equivalent of permanent residency).

The fees will go up in April so don't waste too much time. If you think it's pricey now, check back in a few months! Being british does not exclude your wife from paying the visa fees unfortunately.
I tell it like it is.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:34 pm

Unfortunately she can't apply for ILE after passing the KOL test. For some bizarre reason the Regulations state that you can't mix unmarried partner status with the time married...it's one or the other. The marriage will have re-started the clock...so unless you have been married for 4+ years your wife will have to pay again in 2 years time for what will then be 'Probationary Citizenship'...and then an additional fee when she eventually qualifies for British Citizenship.

misty_minou
Newly Registered

Re: process for bringing my American Wife to live and work h

Post by misty_minou » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:13 pm

LASTLY, isn't there a cheaper way to bring my wife to the UK to work? $995 is a hell of alot of money, I AM A UK citizen, why so expensive?

It's political, the media jumped on the immigration bandwagon and all of a sudden about 18 months ago they jumped heavily. When I was in your situation a little over three years ago the cost was about $500 and all you did was make an appointment, walk in, waited 4 hours and walked out again with the visa.

I echo what someone else said and go above and beyond the documentation asked for - especially your finaces and means of support.

They might not ask for all of it so take it along in a folder where she will be able to access it easily when asked and don't bombard them with paperwork.

Hope this helps

Mark