ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Am I eligible to apply for British Citizenship??

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kpr29
Newly Registered

Am I eligible to apply for British Citizenship??

Post by kpr29 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:31 pm

Hi There
In the Home Office website it was mentioned that the applicant should be physically present in the UK at the begining of the residential qualifying period.
(For example, if we received your application on 25 November 2005, you would have to show that you were in the United Kingdom on 26 November )

From the above example (this is from the home office website), I understand that I have to be present in th UK 5 years before the date of application.
My question is, do I have to be present in the UK 12 months before the date of application?
Please let me know if I am not clear.

Thanks in advance
KPR

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: Am I eligible to apply for British Citizenship??

Post by geriatrix » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:57 pm

kpr29 wrote:My question is, do I have to be present in the UK 12 months before the date of application?
No such requirement.

regards

Christophe
Diamond Member

Re: Am I eligible to apply for British Citizenship??

Post by Christophe » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:49 pm

kpr29 wrote:Hi There
In the Home Office website it was mentioned that the applicant should be physically present in the UK at the begining of the residential qualifying period.
(For example, if we received your application on 25 November 2005, you would have to show that you were in the United Kingdom on 26 November )

From the above example (this is from the home office website), I understand that I have to be present in th UK 5 years before the date of application.
My question is, do I have to be present in the UK 12 months before the date of application?
Please let me know if I am not clear.

Thanks in advance
KPR
No, no requirement to have been physically present in the UK 12 months before. You do have to be physically in the UK at the start of the qualifying period. You also have to be physically present in the UK on the day that the Home Office receives the application (not that date that it is posted).

global gypsy
United Kingdom

Post by global gypsy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:02 pm

When I went for my NCS appointment, they also asked me if I would be in the UK for the next 5 days. I suspect this is to cover the possibility that it could take 5 days max for the application to reach UKBA.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:27 pm

global gypsy wrote:When I went for my NCS appointment, they also asked me if I would be in the UK for the next 5 days. I suspect this is to cover the possibility that it could take 5 days max for the application to reach UKBA.
And that is a good precaution.

kpr29
Newly Registered

Post by kpr29 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:39 pm

Thank you all for the responses. Very much appreciate it.

Cheers
KPR