ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Breach of immigration laws for ILR - Spouse Visa

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

agronl
Newly Registered

Breach of immigration laws for ILR - Spouse Visa

Post by agronl » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:45 am

Hi there,

I would like to find out if my wife is eligible to apply for Naturalisation.

She was issued a spouse visa in September 2006 and she came to UK in November 2006. Then in September 2008, we applied for extending her spouse visa for another 2 years. And last year in July 2009 she applied for Indefinite Leave to Remain. She was given ILR in November 2009.

In the UKBA website, it says the following:

"Unless you are married to a British citizen you should also have been free from immigration time restrictions for at least 12 months before you make your application
"

My understanding is that since she is married to myself (British citizen), she does not have to wait for 12 months from the time she was issued Indefinite Leave to Remain because she has already been in the UK for 3 years and 3 months.

Can you please clarify this?

Many thanks,

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:36 pm

You understanding of the requirement is correct.
Your wife can apply today if she pleases.

Tim555

Post by Tim555 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:57 pm

f2k wrote:You understanding of the requirement is correct.
There is a problem on this rule. I'm in almost same situation. From Last 6 years I'm in UK including 2 years on spouse ( british citizen ) visa and few days on ILR ( under SET-M). Today Nationality Check Service ( Waltham forest - London ) refused to give me an appointment because my ILR is not 12 months old and advised me to wait for another 12 months as I can not qualify for 3 years british spouse rule. They said home office has clearly instructed them to deal with 12 months old ILR ( for BC spouse) and there is non-refund HO fee £720.00.
Each and every one of us can make a difference. All right everyone, line up alphabetically according to your height.

Danbrix

Post by Danbrix » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:26 am

Standard requirements for naturalisation wrote:Immigration time restrictions

You must be free from immigration time restrictions when you make your naturalisation application. Unless you are married to or the civil partner of a British citizen, you should have been free from immigration time restrictions during the last 12 months of the residential qualifying period.
The rules on the UKBA website are like what f2k confirmed.

Tim555

Post by Tim555 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:22 am

Danbrix wrote:
Standard requirements for naturalisation wrote:Immigration time restrictions

You must be free from immigration time restrictions when you make your naturalisation application. Unless you are married to or the civil partner of a British citizen, you should have been free from immigration time restrictions during the last 12 months of the residential qualifying period.
The rules on the UKBA website are like what f2k confirmed.
I agree. I dont know why did not they book appointment? And its 720.00 non-refund Home Office fee, no risk.
Each and every one of us can make a difference. All right everyone, line up alphabetically according to your height.

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:25 am

Tim555 wrote:
There is a problem on this rule. I'm in almost same situation. From Last 6 years I'm in UK including 2 years on spouse ( british citizen ) visa and few days on ILR ( under SET-M). Today Nationality Check Service ( Waltham forest - London ) refused to give me an appointment because my ILR is not 12 months old and advised me to wait for another 12 months as I can not qualify for 3 years british spouse rule. They said home office has clearly instructed them to deal with 12 months old ILR ( for BC spouse) and there is non-refund HO fee £720.00.
I dont think the problem is with the rule, it is more with the NCS or the instruction given to the NCS. If i were you i would ring a couple more NCS that you can get to. you could try the ones close to Waltham e.g Hackney, haringey, Enfield, Newham, etc. See if they were say the same thing if they dont then use them. If they all insist on 1 year then you have to consider the postal route

Tim555

Post by Tim555 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:33 pm

f2k wrote:
Tim555 wrote:
I dont think the problem is with the rule, it is more with the NCS or the instruction given to the NCS. If i were you i would ring a couple more NCS that you can get to. you could try the ones close to Waltham e.g Hackney, haringey, Enfield, Newham, etc. See if they were say the same thing if they dont then use them. If they all insist on 1 year then you have to consider the postal route
Thanks for suggestion. I'll contact them on Monday.